NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Charleston, SC, United States, 2011/08/08 - In 2010, the Charleston Regional Alliance for the Arts created "OPEN" Arts Expo to present the Region's art organizations and collectives. Charleston Arts Expo features over 35 arts organizations. Beaufain St features street performers & food trucks.
The Charleston Regional Alliance for the Arts made it its mission to showcase non-profit art organizations and collectives that for years have been changing the cultural landscape of Charleston, creating a unique and rich cultural arts center. On Saturday, September 10, 2011, the Alliance kicks off Charleston’s fall arts season with the 2nd annual “OPEN” Arts Expo.
The multi-disciplinary arts event is free to the public and features the rich variety of arts experiences in the tri-county area with the greater goal of building arts audiences and breaking down barriers to participate in the joy and festivity of the arts. The event will take place from noon to 5:30 pm. at the Memminger Auditorium in downtown Charleston, SC.
Attendees of the arts expo can expect a cultural marketplace of interactive arts booths providing information about programming and events and offering participatory activities and a selection of tickets to upcoming performances as well as memberships and merchandise.
Featured activities inside include: building Charleston’s creative arts district with LEGOS; a family-fun-arts corner directed by Creative Spark Center for the Arts; a scheduled series of intimate performing art experiences “Revealing the Secrets of Art” and a video montage and premiere “360◦ view of Charleston’s Arts.”
With Beaufain Street closed off for the event, attendees will enjoy famous fare from the Charleston Food Truck Federation and street performances.
“OPEN” 2011 is a blank canvas that participating organizations are invited to fill with their creative expressions. Our participants are the fireworks that will inspire you,” says Jessica Solomon Bluestein, executive director of the Charleston Regional Alliance for the Arts.
Participating organizations include:
• Annex Dance Company;
• Arts Business Civic Coalition of Summerville;
• American College of the Building Arts;
• Avery Research Center;
• Chamber Music Charleston;
• Charleston Academy of Music;
• Charleston Center for Photography;
• Charleston Concert Association;
• Charleston County School District;
• Charleston Fine Art Dealers Association;
• Charleston Library Society;
• Charleston Symphony Orchestra;
• City of North Charleston Cultural Arts Department;
• City of Charleston Office of Cultural Affairs;
• Coastal Carolina Association of Pro Musicians;
• Cone 10 Studios;
• Gibbes Musuem of Art;
• International Piano Series;
• Jazz Artists of Charleston;
• New Music Collective;
• Redux Contemporary Art Center;
• South Carolina Storytelling Network;
• Taylor Music Group;
• Theatre Charleston (Actors’ Theatre of South Carolina, Deuce Theatre, Village Playhouse, Flowertown Players, Footlight Players, PURE Theatre, South of Broadway Theatre Company, Creative Spark Center for the Arts and Sprouts Childrens Theatre);
• The Village Playhouse;
• Yo Art.
“Everyone is welcome to our free arts expo to preview our community’s diverse cultural performances and events. We especially extend a wide open invitation to arts novices to attend and participate in the joy and festivity of the arts,” continues Bluestein.
The event is sponsored by the Interior Design Program of the Art Institute of Charleston, Family Asset Management, Knology, Prime South Group, Fox Music House Inc., Live5 WCSC, Clear Channel and Patrick Properties.
The event is free to the public. The Memminger Auditorium is located at 56 Beaufain Street in downtown Charleston, SC.
About the Charleston Regional Alliance for the Arts
The Charleston Regional Alliance for the Arts (artscharleston.org) is dedicated to the shared realization of a dynamic and thriving arts community by serving arts organizations in the region of Charleston, SC with resources and best business practices. Acting as a catalyst and facilitator for Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester counties, the Alliance envisions an engaged community that is fully expressive, creative and inspired by the arts.