Ras Laffan C is the largest power and water plant in the country. This major infrastructure project has a 2,730 MW generation capacity and can produce more than 286,000 cu.m of desalinated water per day.
GDF SUEZ, through International Power, and its partners, Mitsui & Co, Chubu Electric Power Company and Shikoku Electric Power Company were chosen as preferred bidders for the Ras Laffan C project in March 2008. The Consortium owns 40% of the project while the State of Qatar holds the remaining 60%.
The electricity and water will be sold through a 25 year power and water purchase agreement with Qatar General Electricity and Water Corporation. The selected power and water technology offers a highly efficient distillation and electricity production process, optimizing the natural gas consumption at low emissions.
On the occasion of the inauguration, Gerard Mestrallet, Chairman and CEO of GDF SUEZ said: “Ras Laffan C will be instrumental in meeting the energy and water needs of Qatar, which are boosted by the vast number of new industrial projects coming on stream in the next few years. As the leading private power developer in the Middle East, GDF SUEZ firmly believes in a long term-partnership with the State of Qatar.”
Ras Laffan C is the Group’s second independent power and water project in Qatar. In 2004, International Power was awarded 40% ownership in Ras Laffan B, which started production in 2008. The combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) produces 1,025 MW of power and 272,760 cu.m/day of water.
The Qatar Electricity and Water Company expects power requirements to rise to almost 10 GW in 2020, compared to 7.6 GW today, while the country’s water needs would almost double, from 1.1 million cu.m/day in 2011 to around 2.1 million cu.m/day in 2020.
GDF SUEZ is active in Qatar through electricity, natural gas, energy and environmental services. GDF SUEZ has a 70% shareholding in International Power which is the leading private power developer in the Middle East with a direct equity interest in 26,000 MW of power capacity and more than 4.7 million cu.m per day of desalination capacity in operation and under construction. Its assets are located in the United Arab Emirates, the Sultanate of Oman, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Kingdom of Bahrain, and Qatar. The company is also constructing five I(W)PPs, in Bahrain (Al Dur), Abu Dhabi (Shuweihat 2), Saudi Arabia (Riyadh PP11) and Oman (Barka 3 and Sohar 2). International Power is a developer and investor with operations & maintenance structures in place to run the projects that it has developed and built.
About GDF SUEZ
GDF SUEZ (gdfsuez.com) develops its businesses around a model based on responsible growth to take up today’s major energy and environmental challenges: meeting energy needs, ensuring the security of supply, fighting against climate change and maximizing the use of resources. The Group provides highly efficient and innovative solutions to individuals, cities and businesses by relying on diversified gas-supply sources, flexible and low-emission power generation as well as unique expertise in four key sectors: liquefied natural gas, energy efficiency services, independent power production and environmental services. GDF SUEZ employs 218,350 people worldwide and achieved revenues of €84.5 billion in 2010. The Group is listed on the Brussels, Luxembourg and Paris stock exchanges and is represented in the main international indices: CAC 40, BEL 20, DJ Stoxx 50, DJ Euro Stoxx 50, Euronext 100, FTSE Eurotop 100, MSCI Europe, ASPI Eurozone and ECPI Ethical Index EMU.
T: Belgium: +32 2 510 76 70
Investor relations contact:
T: +33 (0)1 44 22 66 29 / E: ir[.]gdfsuez.com.