NewswireTODAY - /newswire/ -
Berwyn, PA, United States, 2010/06/04 - On June 5th, the Philadelphia Dragon Boat Association will stage its 3rd annual dragon boat festival at the St. Joseph University Row House on the Schuylkill River, called the “Independence Dragon Boat Regatta” in honor of the city’s rich history.
WHO; WHAT; INDEPENDENCE DRAGON Boat Regatta
WHEN: June 5th is actual event day and hours are set at 0900 – 1700
WHERE: St. Joseph University Rowing Center/Boat House @ 2400 Kelly Drive, Schuylkill River, Philadelphia PA.
WHY: Strength in Action Army event
- Strength of Body – Fitness Element
- Strength to Soar – Aviation Element
- Strength to Lead – ROTC Leadership Challenge
- Guitar Hero Element/Augmented Reality
- Robotics Element – Packbot w/ EOD kit Dog Tags/Post Event Survey.
DETAILS: 2 Army Experience center recruiters will be in attendance at Regatta
- Six kiosks containing 2 stations each for data entry/registration
- Electronic data capture with photo and ID cards
- ID cards prioritize prospects according to registration survey answers
- Participants enter information for dog tags upon entry through registration and collect them after completing the post event survey
- Open registration architecture to improve sightlines for those waiting to enter.
HISTORY: The Dragon Boat Festival is an ancient Chinese tradition that dates back to 278 B.C. Legend has it that Qu Yuan, a Chinese poet and statesman, drowned himself in the Milou River. In a failed attempt to rescue him, local fishermen rushed out in their long boats, banging drums to deter the dragons and fish from eating his body. Dragon boat racing began as re-enactment of the race to save Qu from drowning, and evolved into its present form.
Today, dragon boat racing is one of the fastest growing athletic events in the world and has grown to encompass more than two million participants across 40 countries. This June, the PDBA will stage its 3rd annual dragon boat festival on the Schuylkill River, called the “Independence Dragon Boat Regatta” in honor of the city’s rich history as the cradle of American independence.
This all-day regatta will feature as many as 64 recreational and corporate teams from the Eastern Seaboard, plus their friends and families. This fun and festive atmosphere along Kelly Drive will be complete with tented picnic areas for each team along the riverfront, as well as the Dragon Expo where sponsors can exhibittheir wares and collateral to everyone who have come to share in the spirit of dragon boating. A fundraiser for the PDBA, whose members comprise Team USA, the current USA National Champs, the event also raises money for Philadelphia charities, including the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Society and the Police Athletic League.