NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Mount Pleasant, SC, United States, 2010/05/05 - Celebrating Indianola’s ballooning heritage, and covering a span of more than 100 years, a new book titled Indianola: Ballooning Capital of Iowa is scheduled for release on May 10.
This is the story of how Indianola became the ballooning capital of Iowa. Readers will discover vintage images gathered largely from the archives of the National Balloon Museum, the authors, from balloonists, and other sources. The book focuses on the history of ballooning in Indianola, which hosted the U.S. National Hot Air Balloon Championships from 1970 to 1988, and the National Balloon Classic from 1989 to the present.
• The first balloon flight in Iowa in 1856.
• The first balloon flight in Indianola at the Warren County Fair in the early 1900’s.
• The modern hot air balloon was invented in 1960 by Iowa-born Ed Yost.
• The National Ballooning Museum was officially established in Indianola on July 28, 1977, and the current museum building opened in 1988. The city is also home to the Balloon Federation of America's national office.
• Indianola has had an annual ballooning event since 1970.
• The authors will be donating all their royalties from the book to the National Balloon Museum.
Beginning May 10, the new book will be available at the National Balloon Museum, independent book shops and other local retailers, as well as on-line at arcadiapublishing.com. The authors are Becky S. Wigeland, curator, and Dennis D. Nicholson, assistant to the curator at the National Balloon Museum, two of its many volunteers. The authors will be hosting book signings and other events throughout the year.
Indianola: Ballooning Capital of Iowa
by Dennis D. Nicholson and Becky S. Wigeland
Images of Aviation Series, Arcadia Publishing
144 pages/ softcover
Available: May 10, 2010.