GE Healthcare (NYSE: GE) today announced that an important new feature has been added to its LOGIQ E9 platform; elastography. The enhanced device is on display at the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine’s (AIUM) 2010 Annual Convention in San Diego (booth 301).
GE’s LOGIQ E9 introduces ultrasound elastography utilizing a high frequency E-series transducer with a simple compression technique which helps make elastography easier to perform and a more reproducible method of examination.
“Physicians have traditionally examined differences in tissue by hand palpation during physical exams,” said Brian McEathron, general manager of General Imaging Ultrasound, GE Healthcare. “The LOGIQ E9 helps give doctors a digital interpretation of the physical exam that can be easier to reproduce in follow-up examinations by either the original physician or other clinicians.”
LOGIQ E9 elastography is a tool that helps provide a gentle way to obtain information about internal tissue structures and has the potential to assist in patient management decisions, increase diagnostic confidence and help lead to fewer invasive procedures.
“We are excited about the LOGIQ E9’s elastography feature and now use it daily,” said Dennis McDonald, M.D., director of women’s imaging , Sutter Women’s Health Center, Santa Rosa, California. “GE’s ultrasound elastography serves as a valuable and needed addition to our arsenal of examination tools.”
LOGIQ E9 Volume Navigation Needle Tracking
Earlier this month, GE Healthcare announced the addition of Volume Navigation needle tracking for the LOGIQ E9. The device, accompanied by a navigation system and a sensor tipped needle, helps overcome many of the traditional challenges of existing ultrasound needle guidance such as needle visualization and deflection, determining entry points and the avoidance of critical anatomy. This, in turn, can help increase the accuracy of interventional procedures such as biopsies, ablations, drainage, fluid aspiration and general injections.
“The LOGIQ E9’s ability to visualize the path of the needle at any angle – from starting point to end – helps instill the clinician with confidence that he or she can successfully complete a procedure that they might not have attempted to start with other devices,” said Hisham Tchelepi, M.D., assistant professor of abdominal imaging, Wake Forest University School of Medicine.
Highlighting its breadth and depth in ultrasound, from a cutting-edge pocket visualization tool, to innovative 4D imaging for OB/GYN, many additional GE Healthcare products are on display including:
• Vscan, is a new, pocket-sized visualization tool developed to provide physicians with imaging capabilities at the point-of-care. Roughly the size of a smart phone, Vscan houses powerful, ultra-smart ultrasound technology that provides clinicians with an immediate, non-invasive method to help secure visual information about what is happening inside the body. Vscan is portable and can easily be taken from room to room to be used in many clinical, hospital or primary care settings. Vscan’s clinical applications are abdominal, cardiac (adult and pediatric), urological, fetal/OB, pediatric and thoracic/pleural motion and fluid detection.
• Venue 40, a miniaturized ultrasound platform created for specific point of care settings is healthymagination validated. There are neither knobs nor a keyboard, with all commands performed through a touch screen and stylus. Its small size helps bring real-time imaging to the smallest of clinical spaces. The Venue 40 is designed for specific procedures and exams, including anesthesia, musculoskeletal and point-of-care; for emergency medicine and critical care.
• Voluson systems are designed specifically to help meet the needs of OB/GYN, assisted reproductive medicine, and labor and delivery imaging applications. Voluson’s innovative technologies help clinicians produce extraordinary images to help them make critical clinical decisions with confidence. The Voluson Automated Technologies are healthymagination validated.
• LOGIQ P5, LOGIQ P6 and LOGIQ e products help provide clinicians the flexibility to use ultrasound in a wide range of applications, and include advanced imaging capabilities and easy transport to the point of care.
• ViewPoint ultrasound reporting and image management software solution helps streamline workflow and improve service quality for practices of all sizes. A key new feature in this release is cluster server support giving users the ability to run two separate servers simultaneously, increasing availability and decreasing downtime.
About GE Healthcare
GE Healthcare (gehealthcare.com) provides transformational medical technologies and services that are shaping a new age of patient care. Our broad expertise in medical imaging and information technologies, medical diagnostics, patient monitoring systems, drug discovery, biopharmaceutical manufacturing technologies, performance improvement and performance solutions services help our customers to deliver better care to more people around the world at a lower cost. In addition, we partner with healthcare leaders, striving to leverage the global policy change necessary to implement a successful shift to sustainable healthcare systems.
Our "healthymagination" vision for the future invites the world to join us on our journey as we continuously develop innovations focused on reducing costs, increasing access and improving quality and efficiency around the world. Headquartered in the United Kingdom, GE Healthcare is a $17 billion unit of General Electric Company (NYSE: GE). Worldwide, GE Healthcare employs more than 46,000 people committed to serving healthcare professionals and their patients in more than 100 countries.