NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory, Malaysia, 2010/03/04 - AVEVA, one of the world's leading providers of engineering data and design IT systems to the plant, power and marine industries,today announced that it is collaborating with 19 universities, colleges and industrial high schools in Korea. LSE: AVV
AVEVA Group plc, one of the world's leading providers of engineering data and design IT systems to the plant, power and marine industries, today announced that it is collaborating with 19 universities, colleges and industrial high schools in Korea, that are offering courses related to marine engineering and design, throughout 2010. In 2007, the AVEVA Academic Initiative covered 12 education institutions including key universities such as Seoul National University and Busan National University.
South Korea’s marine engineering education system is amongst the most progressive in the world, with many universities cooperating with the shipbuilding industry to keep their syllabuses industry-centric. The most recent AVEVA Academic Initiative partners - Gyeongsang National University, Inha University and ChungName Universities are co-operating with Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering, Sungdong Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering and Samsung Heavy Industries.
SoonSup Lee, Assistant Professor, Department of Naval Architecture, Gyeongsang National University, said: “AVEVA Marine is incorporated in 4 subjects in our syllabus; they are Computer Aided Drawing I & II, Ship Basic Calculations and Computer Aided Ship Design. Undergraduates will get both theoretical and practical experience using AVEVA Marine when they enrol for practical training with shipbuilders the university cooperates with.”
Peter Finch, President, AVEVA Asia Pacific, said: “AVEVA is eager to support South Korea's commitment to a comprehensive education map for marine engineering. We are making our solutions accessible to students from various levels from high school to college and university. This will ensure - that the future generation of shipbuilders has core competencies using AVEVA Marine, which is the preferred solutions provider amongst yards and offshore fabricators in Korea.”
About the AVEVA Academic Initiative
Skills shortages continue to be a challenge in most engineering companies and it will take some time for the recent increases in the number of engineering students at universities and technical colleges to overcome the generation gap that currently exists in the market.
In recognition of this, and in addition to its own in-house graduate recruitment schemes, AVEVA (aveva.com) will continue to work with educational establishments and government bodies around the world to support initiatives aimed at narrowing the skills gap.
In particular, AVEVA will continue to:
a) Work with universities and technical institutes to promote the use of AVEVA products within undergraduate courses and postgraduate research projects;
b) Work with government agencies to re-skill engineers from other disciplines; and
c) Work with engineering bodies to encourage school leavers to pursue careers in engineering.
AVEVA sees this as a vital investment that will bring long term benefits to the engineering world.
Some of the marine education institutions covered by the AVEVA Academic Initiative include:
• Bulgaria: Trieste University
• Croatia: FSB Zagreb, Rijeka University
• Greece: NTUA
• Italy: Trieste University, Naples University, Naval Academy of Livorno (Navy)
• Korea: Changwon College, DongEui Institute of Technology, Gyeongnam Provincial Geochang College, Gyeongsang National University, Jeonnam Provincial College, Jinan Industrial High School, Inha Technical College, Inha University, Koje College, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Kwangwoon University, Mokpo Industrial High School, Mokpo Science College, Seoul National University, Ulsan Science College, Pusan National University, Yeungjin College, Yonam Institute of Digital Technology
• Portugal: Instituto Superior Tecnico – Lisboa
• Russia: State Marine Technical University of St. Petersburg
• Singapore: Singapore Polytechnic, Ngee Ann Polytechnic School of Engineering, Institute of Technical Education
• Taiwan: National Cheng Kung University, National Kaohsiung Marine University
• Turkey: Karadeniz Teknik Universitesi (KTU), PADML, Istanbul Teknik Universitesi, Yildiz Teknik Universitesi
• United Kingdom: University College London, Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde, University of Newcastle
• Ukraine: Sevastopol National Technical University
• United States: Naval Postgraduate School Foundation
About AVEVA Group plc
AVEVA (aveva.com) is trusted around the world to deliver engineering IT solutions with strategic value to leading companies in the plant and marine industries.
© 2010 AVEVA Solutions Ltd and its subsidiaries. All product names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective holders.