NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
London, United Kingdom, 2010/02/08 - More than 65 fine artists, photographers, designers & craft makers. Works on display (include) paintings, sculpture, prints, drawings, photography, digital art & animation.
Private View: Thursday 13th May 5-9pm
Viewing Days: Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th May 11am – 6pm (refreshments available)
Location: Second Floor Studios & Arts Ltd, Mellish Industrial Estate, Warspite Road, Woolwich, London, SE18 5NR.
• More than 65 fine artists, photographers, designers & craft makers;
• Emerging & mid-career visual arts practitioners from leading UK art schools and universities (including Camberwell, Chelsea, Courtauld Institute, Goldsmiths’, Royal College of Art, Slade, St Martin’s and Wimbledon);
• Works on display (include) paintings, sculpture, prints, drawings, photography, digital art, animation and motion graphics, illustration, textiles, mosaics and furniture design;
• Studios are located by the River Thames, in four Victorian and modern former warehouses and factory buildings;
• Innovative and largest provision of studio space in south east London: further phases and projects are in development.
About Second Floor Studios & Arts (SFSA)
SFSA (secondfloor.co.uk ) is a London-based social enterprise company and ‘not for profit’ project that supports the development of visual art practice, and craft and design making in South-East London, by offering affordable space to artists. Established in 1997 by Matthew Wood and Kelvin O’Mard, who met at Goldsmith’s, SFSA was created in response to the lack of affordable, long-term studio space for artists in South-East London. Now in its 13th year, SFSA continues to meet this challenge.
The SFSA project at Woolwich provides a vibrant and supportive environment for artists to work independently or collaboratively. Future plans include the development of local, national and international creative partnerships. SFSA has a long term commitment to establishing educational and outreach programmes.
This flagship UK project, at Mellish Industrial Estate, Woolwich, will eventually provide over 200 self-contained studios, workspaces and a gallery, creating one of Europe’s largest single site affordable studio space projects.
Phases 1 & 2 completed June 2009: 28 studios;
Phase 3 completed December 2009: 38 studios;
Phases 4 & 5 projected completion date Autumn 2010: 59 studios;
Further phases to follow.
Second Floor Studios and Arts Ltd, Mellish Industrial Estate, Warspite Road, Woolwich, London, E18 5NR.
The SFSA project is located immediately off the A206 dual carriageway near Woolwich. There is access from the A2/M2, M20 & M25. Charlton and Woolwich Dockyard Main Line stations and The Docklands Light Railway are in close proximity. Regular bus routes (180, 177, 161, and 472) serve the local area.
Second Floor Studios & Arts working in partnership with Emafyl Properties, creating one of Europe’s largest single site affordable studio space projects for visual and fine artists, and craft and designer makers. Over 200 studios, workshop spaces and galley.