Pilot My-Cast℠ by Garmin is a premium aviation weather, flight planning and flight filing application exclusively for customers in the U.S. and Canada.
“We’ve designed the iPhone and iPod Touch version of Pilot My-Cast from the ground up,” said Craig Burfeind, president of Digital Cyclone, a subsidiary of Garmin. “Our customers range from the student pilot who has taken their introductory flight to executives of general aviation companies. Pilots who use Pilot My-Cast, tell us they can’t live without it. They appreciate that we tailor the information to their flight. They input their route, and then Pilot My-Cast overlays the flight path with the weather – no other aviation weather app gives pilots this much customization.”
The iPhone and iPod Touch version of Pilot My-Cast is designed to take advantage of the devices’ gesture-based user interface, and includes five intuitive menu tabs at the bottom of the page: routes, flight plan, weather, airport information and settings.
• Routes: Create a route to any airport, fix or VOR in the United States or Canada. The route, or flight path, may then be viewed on a map with a weather overlay so that pilots can immediately see if their desired flight path is near threatening weather. Pilot My-Cast is currently the only aviation application that overlays a route and weather information.
• Flight Plan: Create and file a flight plan with a few screen touches and send the information directly to the DUAT(s) providers. Pilot My-Cast stores the most recently filed flight plan, so pilots only need to alter information that has changed from earlier flights.
• Weather: View current and predicted weather information including NEXRAD Radar, METARs and TAFs displayed in text and graphic formats, panable weather maps, infrared and visible satellite loops, lightning data, SIGMETs, AIRMETs, PIREPs, NOTAMs, winds aloft and more.
• Airport Information: Access the AOPA Airport Directory, one of the most comprehensive sources of airport information that includes information for over 5,300 public-use airports and more than 7,000 FBOs, such as pilot services, ground transportation, lodging, restaurants and local attractions.
• Settings: Customize Pilot My-Cast with aircraft and pilot specific information. Also, link to flyGarmin.com and view information about other Garmin portable and panel mount products, such as if the portable device’s databases are current.
Compared to other aviation weather cell phone applications, Pilot My-Cast is unique because it receives aviation data directly from the foremost providers, such as the National Weather Service, Environment Canada, and Federal Aviation Administration. Thanks to these direct relationships, customers who use Pilot My-Cast by Garmin will receive the same up-to-the-minute information that they would if using a desktop computer with Internet service.
Pilot my-Cast for the iPhone and iPod Touch are available in the app store for a monthly fee of $9.99, or an annual subscription of $99.99. To order Pilot My-Cast or to see a list of other supported phones, visit digitalcyclone.com/pilot.
About Digital Cyclone, Inc.
Founded in 1998, Digital Cyclone℠ (digitalcyclone.com) has established itself as a leader in providing personalized weather intelligence for wireless devices. In January of 2007, Garmin Ltd (garmin.com) acquired provider Digital Cyclone, Inc. in an effort to broaden the LBS product offerings and expands capability in the area of wireless application development, marketing, and distribution. Digital Cyclone has been an early mover in the emerging location based services market offering weather solutions for consumers, outdoor enthusiasts, and pilots on a subscription based model that are delivered to customers in partnership with top national wireless carriers as well as regional carriers. The company is headquartered in Minnetonka, Minnesota, and operates as an independent subsidiary of Garmin Ltd. Garmin is a registered trademark, and Digital Cyclone and My-Cast are registered service marks of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.
All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
Notice on forward-looking statements
This release includes forward-looking statements regarding Garmin Ltd. and its business. All statements regarding the company’s future product introductions are forward-looking statements. Such statements are based on management's current expectations. The forward-looking events and circumstances discussed in this release may not occur and actual results could differ materially as a result of known and unknown risk factors and uncertainties affecting Garmin, including, but not limited to, the risk factors listed in the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 27, 2008, filed by Garmin with the Securities and Exchange Commission (Commission file number 0-31983). A copy of Garmin’s Form 10-K can be downloaded at garmin.com/aboutGarmin/invRelations/finReports.html. No forward-looking statement can be guaranteed. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made and Garmin undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.