NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
London, United Kingdom, 2010/01/12 - The Metropolitan Police announced today they have successfully shut down 1200 fraudulent websites, 140 of which related to Links of London merchandise.
Since the beginning of the year there has been an upsurge in websites selling counterfeit Links of London items. Links of London has been working diligently alongside the e-crime unit to counteract the issue.
"Links of London are delighted with the result of today's action; with fraudulent sites on the increase having so many closed down relating to our product is a fantastic result for us. We are grateful to the Metropolitan police for their assistance and will continue to work with the e-crime unit to protect existing and future customers from these fraudulent sites. We are already enjoying record online sales so this action will boost not only brand reputation but direct sales opportunities as well."
Andrew Marshall, CEO Links of London
Intelligence showed that the vast majority of the sites were registered in Asia, despite their UK domain names. This made it almost impossible for victims to complain about poor quality, counterfeited items or goods not received.
Links of London would like to reiterate they cannot guarantee the authenticity of a product purchased from any other site than the official one.
What the public can do to protect themselves when purchasing online:
• Know who you are dealing with.
• Check manufacturers’ websites to ensure you are buying from an approved and reputable retailer.
• Be careful how you pay - If the purchase is over £100 consider using a credit card to protect your purchase, buy goods online through secure and encrypted payment systems, don’t be drawn off the site to other forms of payment and consider separate credit cards or accounts for online shopping.
• Protect your personal details - Don’t give away personal details unnecessarily, don’t ever reveal passwords or PIN numbers.
• Protect your computer - Ensure you have up-to-date anti-virus software on you computer, use a firewall and update your computer’s software regularly.
• Beware of unsolicited or spam email offers.
Links of London (linksoflondon.com) has been recognised as best ‘British Luxury Brand Overseas’ at this year’s Walpole Awards for Excellence, cementing the brand as a global leader within the affordable luxury market of gold & silver jewelry, watches and jewellery gifts.
The annual Walpole awards for Excellence took place at Banqueting House, London and honoured those individuals and companies who have achieved the pinnacle of excellence across luxury, design, online, international, overseas and emerging talent.