With summer just around the corner, the Independence Visitor Center is pleased to announce an exciting season of affordable events for visitors and residents alike. Located at 6th & Market Streets in the heart of Independence Mall, the Independence Visitor Center is truly the summer destination for unique events, free trip planning, and everything fun in Philadelphia’s Historic District.
Returning for a second season is Independence Visitor Center’s FREE summer concert series, Music on the Mall, which kicks off June 4 and occurs the first Thursday of every month. FREE musical performances representing a variety of music genres will once again be open to the public on the Center’s lawn. The Music on the Mall summer lineup includes:
• June 4: Funktion 11, a 12-piece Motown, Soul and R&B band, in celebration of Black Music Month in Philadelphia.
• July 2: “Happy Birthday America” concert will feature performances by The Accords, a premier Classic Oldies group, and Final Cut, paying tribute to America’s music.
• August 6: The spotlight is on World Music with performances by the Brazilian-influenced all-girl group, Paprika, and Caribbean band, Casplash, guaranteed to have everyone dancing on the Mall.
• September 3: Music on the Mall will close out the summer and usher in the new school year with a “Back-to-School Battle of the Bands” blowout, featuring local teen bands from around the Philadelphia region.
America’s birthday comes alive in “America’s Most Historic Mile” with a weekend full of free events at Independence Visitor Center in celebration of the Fourth of July. Throughout the holiday weekend, July 2 through July 5, the Center has something for everyone, including:
• My Dear Mrs. Lincoln (July 2, 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm): In conjunction with the Lincoln 200 events, come and witness an expert performance of the original play My Dear Mrs. Lincoln, presented by Bob Gleason and Pat Jordan of the American Historical Theatre.
• “Sweet Freedom” (July 3 at 12:00 noon): Join the Visitor Center for a bite of liberty! Listen to a reading of the Declaration of Independence and colonial fife and drum musicians. Afterward, enjoy a complimentary piece of our 8-foot birthday cake decorated with quotes from the Founding Fathers.
• “Happy Birthday America!” (July 4, 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm): During the Independence Visitor Center’s “Happy Birthday America!” event, 10,000 Tastykakes will be distributed inside the Independence Visitor Center. What a great way to celebrate the nation’s birthday - with Philadelphia’s rendition of birthday cake! First come, first served!
• “Freedom & Family Fun on the Mall” (July 5, 11:00 am – 2:00 pm): Stop by the Visitor Center for family fun activities including face painting, balloon animals, Lincoln hats and more!
The official headquarters for information on attractions and events in Philadelphia and the Countryside, Independence Visitor Center - Real Philadelphia, Real Easy!
The Independence Visitor Center (independencevisitorcenter.com), located at 6th & Market Streets, across from the Liberty Bell, provides the region’s best event, touring, dining, lodging and attraction information to visitors and locals alike about Independence National Historical Park, the City of Philadelphia and the Countryside. Open daily at 8:30 am seven days a week (with the exception of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day)