1 Piece of Advice is an inspired and inspiring book written by cousins Patricia Moser-Stern and Barbara Moser that tells the stories of 48 women around the world who have blazed trails in their chosen fields despite the odds. If someone asked you to give a single piece of advice to a daughter, a niece, a cousin, a granddaughter or a colleague, what would you say? Be an astronaut, a bishop, a general, an entrepreneur? In this handsome, beautifully-produced coffee-table entry, there are as many opinions as there are successful women. Women savvy enough to know that you don't crack the glass ceiling by banging your head against the wall.
1 Piece of Advice delivers an inspiring backstage pass to the voyage of 48 women who rose to the pinnacle, as well as giving insights and inspiration in their journey to significance. Some of the women you will encounter:
• Helen Gurley Brown – Author, Editor-in-Chief, Cosmopolitan Magazine
• Della Reese – Singer, Actress, Author, Minister
• Isabel Bassett – Author, Broadcaster, Politician, Philanthropist, Canada
• The Right Reverend Ann Tottenham – Anglican Church Bishop, Canada
• Karen Kain – Artistic Director, National Ballet of Canada
• Deepa Mehta – Film Director, Producer, Screenwriter, India and Canada
• Pamela Wallin – Journalist, TV Host, Diplomat, Author, Canada
• Kim Baird – Chief of the Tsawwassen First Nation, Canada
• Neelie Kroes – European Commissioner for Competition, Belgium
• Hazel McCallion – Mississauga Mayor, Canada
• Erin Pizzey – Founder of Shelters for Battered Women & Children in England
• Sima Samar – Chairperson, Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission
And by Category:
• Corner Office features corporate icons and entrepreneurs;
• To Serve and Protect includes human rights leaders, military generals, governors general, a fire chief, a first nations chief, a judge, an environmentalist, as well as others in public service;
• Pursuit of Knowledge brings you leaders in higher education;
• Enriching Souls features an Anglican Bishop, a Rabbi and a Moderator from the Church of Scotland;
• Spotlight highlights a film producer/director, a former prima ballerina; conductors, a writer, a legend in the entertainment industry, a journalist/diplomat and musicians;
• Reach for the Stars shows what it takes to be a champion aerobatic pilot, an astronaut and an astronomer/astrophysicist.
1 Piece of Advice is published by Patricia Moser-Stern and Barbara Moser, two cousin-authors who themselves are very successful in typically male-dominated fields (one is an aerospace engineer, the other runs her own supply management and procurement company).
The book can be purchased online at 1 pieceofadvice.com where you can browse its contents and read some of the stories of these remarkable women.
More than 4,000 titles were entered in 85 categories in the national and regional contest for independently published authors. The 2009 IPPY Award winners will be announced at the 13th Annual Awards ceremony in New York May 29.
The Independent Book Publishers has been a supporter of the indie book industry for more than a quarter of a century.