NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Denver, CO, United States, 2008/08/29 - The Denver Marriott Tech Center was challenged by the Democratic National Convention (DNC) and Denver Mayor, John Hickenlooper to pull off the greenest convention in our history.
The Denver Marriott Tech Center wrapped up August in a historical fashion. The hotel hosted the “greenest” convention ever. Accepting the challenge of the DNC, Barbara Readey, Area General Manager, put together a Green Team, which is made up of hourly associates, middle management and senior leadership. She asked the team, “not only think about short-term solutions for the DNC, but also long-term sustainable goals”. The team made a note of all the green things we were already doing such as recycling printer cartridges and batteries. They also found high impact areas that would see both short-term and long-term benefits. A few of those areas are as follows:
- Replaced 628 toilets (3 gallon per flush) with low flow 1.6 gallon per flush
- Replaced 3.5 gallon per minute shower heads with 2.5 gallon heads in all guest rooms.
These two items saved 60,000 gallons of water during the DNC. Long term the hotel anticipates saving 6 million gallons of water annually.
- Built a 3,000 square foot "green" patio using re-cycled concrete from the old Stapleton Airport. Mike Monroe, Co-chair of the Green Team and Director of Engineering used zeroscaping around the patio with river rock and mulch. Solar lighting mixed with LED tree lights provides the perfect ambience.
- An in-room recycling program was kicked off in time for the DNC. This program allowed us to recycle over 1,000 tons during the DNC week alone. The program was deemed so successful that the hotel will continue this effort and estimates recycling over 70,000 tons annually.
- Our in-room Towel & Linen Reuse Program was also initiated for the DNC, which helped reduce the hotel’s carbon footprint to be 2,000 tons lower than the average of a building their size.
- Hotel contracted Chill Out 2 Oxygen Bar, which runs on minimal electricity and LED lights, to assist Delegates in “greening up” their own bodies by inhaling 92% pure oxygen and ridding their bodies of toxins and other pollutants.
These are just a few of the socially responsible initiatives the Denver Marriott Tech Center kicked off in time for the historical Democratic National Convention.