NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Carlsbad, CA, United States, 2008/07/01 - Less than 24 hours after FDA approval, Dr. James A. Davies of Innovision Eye Care Center was first in the world to successfully implant the Crystalens HD™ model intraocular lens manufactured by Bausch & Lomb.
On July 1st at 9:32 am, less than 24 hours after FDA approval, Dr. James A. Davies of Innovision Eye Care Center was first in the world to successfully implant the Crystalens HD™ model intraocular lens, an accommodating lens which works in unison with the muscles of the eye to allow patients to see at all ranges of vision.
As Lead Medical Monitor of the 2007 study evaluating the results of surface and dimension modifications of existing Crystalens platforms, Dr. Davies is honored to be the first surgeon in the world to implant this “bionic” lens. “This couldn’t be better timing…This exciting event occurred exactly 16 years to the day from my first day practicing ophthalmology in Carlsbad. What a great way to celebrate our 16th anniversary!”
Dr. Davies is an innovator, often introducing new technologies in the field of ophthalmology:
• First surgeon in San Diego to use the VISX excimer laser to reshape the cornea and remove corneal scars (1995);
• First in San Diego to use endoscopic cyclophotocoagulation (ECP), a revolutionary new treatment that uses a small handpiece that has a video camera, light source and laser for treating glaucoma patients (2003);
• First in Southern California to implant the first-generation Crystalens (2003);
• First in the world to implant the enhanced AT-50 second-generation Crystalens (2006);
• First in the United States to implant the HD100 third-generation Crystalens (2007);
• Innovision Eye Care Center was designated a “Crystalens Center of Excellence" (2007).
The Crystalens HD™, manufactured by Bausch & Lomb, is the fourth generation and newest version of the only FDA approved accommodating lens. This lens has a new shape that enhances the depth of focus with a proprietary optical modification, and the enhanced optic provides an increased depth of focus, improving near vision without compromising intermediate or distance vision.
About Dr. Davies
Dr. James A. Davies, the Medical Director of Innovision Eye Care Center and The Surgical Eye Care Center (innovisioneye.com), is dedicated to perfecting the vision of his patients from around the world. He received his medical degree from Wayne State University in 1981 and completed his residency at Sinai Hospital/Kresge Eye Institue in Detroit, MI in 1985. Dr. Davies is a surgical pioneer specializing in cataract and refractive surgery, with special emphasis on the Crystalens accommodating lens implant. He has extensive surgical experience, having performed over 30,000 surgeries, including over 11,000 cataract and lens implant procedures.