NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Oceanside, CA, United States, 2008/06/18 - Portable Farms ™ announces the availability of their new invention, Portable Farms™ which offers an easy way to grow 100 pounds of home-grown fish and 400 heads of lettuce (or other table vegetables) per year in a small 6 foot x 8 foot space.
Units can be scaled to feed several families, a small neighborhood, or an entire village. The fish and table vegetables can be eaten or sold locally to stores or restaurants.
Portable Farms™ offers an easy solution to the rising food prices in this country, and the lack of available food and protein in 3rd world countries. According to United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, “12.6 percent of the world population of 6.6 billion people are suffering from Protein-energy malnutrition (PEM). Protein is necessary for key body functions including provision of essential amino acids and development and maintenance of muscles.”
Colle Davis, the inventor of Portable Farms™ brings his unique talents and expertise to create a working solution capable of solving the problems of food prices, food shortages and world poverty. He was educated at University of California at Davis in the field of Renewable Natural Resources and has been refining his invention of Portable Farms™ since the early 1970's.
Colle Davis, the inventor of the Portable Farms™ said, “This is very exciting. I’ve been perfecting the Portable Farm™ for 36 years. It’s actually very simple: Water circulates from a water tank filled with fish and a newly patented pump moves water through a settling tank, then the water flows through shallow beds of gravel containing fresh vegetables. This pump keeps the fish tank free of sediments and sends the nutrients to the plants. It’s a perfectly efficient system.”
A Portable Farm™:
• Is affordable and pays for itself;
• Requires only minimal upkeep (less than five minutes a day);
• Requires only minimal space;
• No soil, no watering, no weeding, no fertilizers or pesticides, no hand feeding fish;
• Can be Solar Powered and fully automated;
• Offers a wide variety of choices of table vegetables;
• Raises Tilapia and catfish (both herbivores - vegetarian fish) which can be raised on a vegetable protein plant (duckweed or algae).
Portable Farms™ grows:
- Lettuce, basil, peppers, sage, parsley, cilantro and most herbs,
- Flowering plants: tomatoes, strawberries, peas, squash, eggplants,
- Colorful flowers,
- Hybrid Tilapia or catfish, or other fish depending on availability and local regulations.
Portable Farms™ LLC (portablefarms.com) is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada, with an office and distribution center in San Diego, California. It is a privately-held company and is designated as a Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business. They offer a Portable Farms™ Kit that can be assembled and installed upon arrival. Colle Davis is also the CEO, Executive Mentoring and Coaching, Inc.