• Operator-independent benchtop instrument builds on previous technology to enhance ease-of-use, customization and digitalization;
• New offering addresses daily pain points to make lab testing faster and lifecycle management easier;
• Possibility for integration with ABB data management increases visibility and accuracy to drive precision of bending resistance and stiffness measurements.
The L&W Bending Tester, which measures resistance to bending in paper and packaging, is a standalone benchtop instrument featuring a large touchscreen with user-friendly interface and improved post-processing for ease-of-use and instrument check and calibration. Integration with other ABB offerings, such as L&W Lab Management System (LMS), also means connectivity to the full Quality Data Management module within the larger Manufacturing Execution System (MES), enabling greater visibility of quality data across the mill and enterprise.
The new features aim to address the pain points faced by lab and quality managers in mills to ensure optimized bending properties from accurate resistance and stiffness testing, important in the handling and protection of packaging products. Low bending resistance/stiffness can cause runnability issues during printing of paper, foldability issues during converting of board into packaging boxes, and stackability issues during handling and storage of packaging boxes. Accurate measurement of bending properties is therefore critical to ensure specifications are met and these issues avoided, which in turn will improve productivity and costs.
Several new features enhance the ease-of-use for operators and help them to overcome challenges associated with older, complex or difficult-to-operate instruments:
• A test piece is clamped automatically and precisely with a support for easy sample loading, aiding the operator and leading to a repeatable measurement process
• A new ergonomically placed start button is pressed, and the testing sequence starts automatically with an improved auto-touch function
• A large touchscreen with customizable programs, options for instrument check and calibration, and adjustable testing speed and bending angle makes it easy for the operator to select the right options and program settings
In addition, bending length is automatically detected, which ensures the correct settings are selected every time. On-screen results include an overview of the measurement series and a graphical display of the bending curve with break angle/force. Notably, this model also accommodates bending lengths as short as 1mm or as long as 50mm.
“ABB has a long history of providing paper testing technology that sets us apart in the market. With each new generation, we strive to improve and add features that will benefit our customers the most,” said Ghazal Amar, Global Product Manager, Paper Testing Equipment, ABB. “We are pleased to introduce the latest features that make our L&W Bending Tester the easiest to use, highly automated and digitally enabled instrument on the market for bending resistance and stiffness testing.”
L&W Bending Tester joins the many benchtop instruments in the product line that can be managed via myABB for L&W, which is a self-service customer portal for critical installed base data, service information, documentation and case tracking.
ABB (abb.com) is a technology leader in electrification and automation, enabling a more sustainable and resource-efficient future. The company’s solutions connect engineering know-how and software to optimize how things are manufactured, moved, powered and operated. Building on more than 130 years of excellence, ABB’s ~105,000 employees are committed to driving innovations that accelerate industrial transformation.
ABB’s Process Automation business is a leader in automation, electrification and digitalization for the process and hybrid industries. We serve our customers with a broad portfolio of products, systems, and end-to-end solutions, including our # 1 distributed control system, software, and lifecycle services, industry-specific products as well as measurement and analytics and marine offerings. As the global #2 in the market, we build on our deep domain expertise, diverse team and global footprint, and are dedicated to helping our customers increase competitiveness, improve their return on investment and run safe, smart, and sustainable operations.