NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Ludwigshafen, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, 2022/01/13 - The founding members of the Pragati project for sustainable castor crop Arkema, BASF SE, Jayant Agro-Organics along with implementation partner Solidaridad finalized and published the final audited and certified results of the fifth year of their program . DE000BASF111
• Over 5,800 farmers trained, audited, and certified;
• 36,000 tons of certified castor seed cultivated.
In December 2021, the members updated the impacts of the program so far:
• Over 5,800 farmers have been trained, audited, and certified in total an increase of 27% in program year 5 compared to the year before;
• 36,000 tons of certified castor seed has been cultivated an increase of 50% in program year 5 compared to the previous year;
• Yield has improved over 35% versus comparable yield published by local government in the region for 2020-2021;
• Over 13,300 hectares are now being farmed in accordance with the SuCCESS sustainable castor code (see castorsuccess.org);
• Approx. 6,300 safety kits and crop protection product boxes have been distributed free of charge;
• Water consumption has been lowered by approx. 35% in the demo plots where accurate measurement and control is in place;
• Farmers from more than 69 villages in North Gujarat now participate in the program.
‘With our joint efforts in this program, we support the sustainable production of castor beans to establish sustainable supply chains that amongst others increase the yields and income of the farmers, ’ said Karin Wagner, responsible for castor oil and derivatives procurement at BASF.
The farmer safety kits are provided by BASF. They include disposable respirators, safety glasses and gloves, as well as easy-to-understand, picture-based instructions that show where, when and how to use each personal protection item, along with instructions on how to handle chemicals safely.
The Pragati project was launched in May 2016 driven by a baseline survey of more than 1,000 castor farmers in Gujarat, India, where the majority of the world’s castor supply originates. The goal of the project is to enable sustainable castor crop production by:
• Using good agricultural practices to increase yield and farmer income;
• Efficiently using water resources and maintaining soil fertility;
• Driving adoption of good waste management practices;
• Enabling better health and safety practices and respecting human rights.
Pragati is the Hindi word for progress. Visit castorsuccess.org for more details.
At BASF (basf.com), we create chemistry for a sustainable future. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. More than 110,000 employees in the BASF Group contribute to the success of our customers in nearly all sectors and almost every country in the world. Our portfolio is organized into six segments: Chemicals, Materials, Industrial Solutions, Surface Technologies, Nutrition & Care and Agricultural Solutions. BASF generated sales of €59 billion in 2020. BASF shares are traded on the stock exchange in Frankfurt (BAS) and as American Depositary Receipts (BASFY) in the U.S.