The annual competition rewards the greatest achievements in packaging innovation and technologies worldwide, with a focus on both sustainability and end-user convenience. While the judging process was hosted in November in Indonesia, the Gala Awards Ceremony will take place at the interpack 2020 trade show in Düsseldorf, Germany.
“Our guiding principle, ‘Sustainable by design’ is reflected in each packaging solution that has been recognised by the WorldStar Awards this year. It is very important to us to support all our customers to help with their bespoke packaging needs and assist them with reaching their individual sustainability goals," said Armand Schoonbrood, COO Mondi Corrugated Solutions.
The winning Mondi products are:
• UpliftBox in the Household category from Mondi Corrugated Solutions Grünburg;
• DashV1Box in the Transit category from Mondi Corrugated Solutions Ansbach;
• Stabilization Box in the Other category from Mondi Corrugated Solutions Bupak s.r.o.;
• StripPouch in the Household category from the German cleaning products maker Werner & Mertz and Mondi Consumer Flexibles;
• Protector Bags in the Transit category from Mondi Paper Bags and aPak, a Swedish Packaging dealer;.
Mondi's vision is to contribute to a better world. It follows our customer-centric approach,"EcoSolutions", to support its customers to meet their sustainability goals.
"These awards underline that packaging can be part of the solution in protecting products, being fit for purpose while reducing material and transport needs. A fresh approach with reinvention and collaboration has shown we are at the forefront of sustainable packaging solutions."
Graeme Smith, Head of Product Sustainability for Flexible Packaging and Engineered Materials
Mondi’s approach centres around three actions to optimise packaging choices:
Replace less sustainable products with solutions that help our customers fulfil their commitments, following our principle of paper where possible, plastic when useful.
Reduce the overall environmental footprint and the volume of raw material used through design, operational efficiency and material choices.
Recycle by developing fit-for-purpose paper and plastic packaging solutions that are designed for recycling.
Schoonbrood continued: “At Mondi, we have dedicated in-house design teams that work in close collaboration with our customers to deliver individual packaging solutions that add real value. We are proud that these teams have been recognised externally for their dedication to continuously find innovative ways to protect delicate goods in different shapes and sizes while also being sustainable within transport and logistics.”
The Mondi solution UpliftBox features swivel covers. Once moved during opening, the tractive force activates a mechanism that raises the lifting platform to the top of the box, creating an emotional experience for the end-user. Designed by Herbert Reitbrugger, Mondi Corrugated Solutions Grünburg.
Introduces a single standard packaging for automotive dash boards that has reduced processing costs by 31% and quality complaints by 80%. This sustainable solution uses 100% corrugated material. The unique ergonomics of the product made it difficult to find a one-fit solution, but DashV1Box meets all the demands. Different component lengths are accommodated by variable corrugated fittings. Designed by Marco Rammler, Mondi Corrugated Solutions Ansbach.
Answers a dairy customer`s request for a stabilizing solution which would reinforce the whole pallet block and prevent boxes from shifting into the middle at the same time not obstructing the airway that secures proper cooling for the delicate product. Eva Hrychová, Mondi Corrugated Solutions Bupak, developed this perforated interlay, made from three-layer corrugated board.
Mondi and Werner & Mertz’s innovative, 100-percent recyclable pouch leapfrogs sorting and recycling hurdles on the way to “true recyclability.” The new design features a complete mono-material (PE) also for the spout and cap. Detachable printed panels enhance the recyclate quality due to the ability to separate the decorative panels from the pouch after use. Designed by Mondi Consumer Flexibles.
The paper-based, ‘envelope-like’ Protector Bags have increased efficiency, reduced workload and lowered overall costs to our customers by more than 70% for packaging and shipping door consoles. The lightweight, 100% recyclable bags also are sustainable by design requiring less material, using paper instead of plastic, and halving the number of trips needed to move components from place to place. At the same time, the packaging process is now less strenuous for the people involved as closing the bags simple as sealing an envelope.
Mondi (mondigroup.com) is a global leader in packaging and paper, delighting its customers and consumers with innovative packaging and paper solutions that are sustainable by design. Our business is fully integrated across the packaging and paper value chain from managing forests and producing pulp, paper and plastic films, to developing and manufacturing effective industrial and consumer packaging solutions. Sustainability is embedded in everything we do. In 2018, Mondi had revenues of €7.48 billion and underlying EBITDA of €1.76 billion.
Mondi has a premium listing on the London Stock Exchange (MNDI), and a secondary listing on the JSE Limited (MNP). Mondi is a FTSE 100 constituent, and has been included in the FTSE4Good Index Series since 2008 and the FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment Index Series since 2007.
About the WPO
WPO World Packaging Organisation (worldpackaging.org) is a non-profit, non-governmental, international federation of packaging institutes, associations, federations and other interested parties including corporations and trade associations.
About the WorldStar Award categories:
• Beverages: Packaging for liquid or dry tea, coffee, water and soft drinks including wine, beer and spirits
• Electronics: Packaging of all electrical items
• Food: All food packaging including fresh, frozen, dried or other
• Health & Personal Care: Includes the packaging of cosmetics, toiletries, supplements, vitamins, perfumes, hair body and oral-care.
• Household: Includes the packaging of household items, toys, stationery, gifts, clothing, garden equipment and decorating
• Labelling and Decoration: The addition of content to a pack, which creates a unique or innovative appearance, function or communication. This may include labels, sleeves, tags, coding/markings, etching, directly applied inks or by any other similar process.
• Luxury: Includes seasonal and religious festival gift packaging and high-end products like perfume or jewelry that has the ability to "wow" the consumer
• Medical & Pharmaceutical: Packaging of all medicines including prescription, over the counter and medical equipment packaging
• Packaging Materials & Components: Any specific material or component, which creates a differentiating appearance, unique functionality or notable innovation that, enhances a pack's performance.
• Point of Sale: End of aisle display units
• Transit: Industrial (heavy duty) and distribution packaging inter-company packaging and internet packaging
• Other: Miscellaneous packs that are not included in any other category.
• plus SPECIAL AWARDS.