Dentsu, Inc. (President & CEO: Toshihiro Yamamoto) announces the release of SDGs Communication Guide in Japanese and English versions, suggesting guidelines for corporate managers, people working in advertising and ad agency professionals when planning out communication initiatives in line with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The SDGs are "global objectives for creating a sustainable future", comprised of 17 goals and 169 targets stated during the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit held at the UN headquarters in New York in September 2015. Over the recent years, a sense of crisis for sustainability has been discussed throughout the global community. Japan is also promoting full-fledged discussions on countermeasures with the involvement of national and local governments, business and economic circles as well as non-political organizations. Since it is specifically hoped for businesses to make active participation and commitment, taking actions based on the concept of sustainability is required for all corporate activities and across the field of advertising communication.
Meanwhile, the use of "excessive expressions deviating from the actual initiatives of companies" and "inappropriate expressions that can mislead consumers" in advertising communication is also an act contrary to the purpose of SDGs. Experts point out disadvantages from such use, including the possibility of receiving criticism which can lead to damage corporate value.
Based on such situations, Dentsu formed the Dentsu SDGs Communication Guide Creation Committee• including eight expert panels, to compile useful guidelines providing "things to know" and "thing to pay attention to" for successful advertising and promotional campaigns with SDGs in mind.
Dentsu (dentsu.co.jp) is committed to continue its efforts for creating a sustainable future in advertising communication and beyond for a wide range of fields.
About SDGs Communication Guide
Published by: Dentsu, Inc.
Cooperated with: Dentsu SDGs Communication Guide Creation Committee*
*Dentsu SDGs Communication Guide Creation Committee members (As of April 1, 2018; in alphabetical order of surname)
Chair: Toshihiko - GotoExecutive Director, Global Compact Network Japan - CEO, Sustainability Forum Japan
• Mikako Awano - Founder & CEO, General Association SusCon Japan
• Yumiko Horie - Advocacy Manager, Save the Children Japan
• Ichiro Ishida - Director Marketing Headquarters, The Asahi Shimbun
• Koichi Kaneda - CSR Promotion, Senior Director, ANA HOLDINGS INC.
• Koji Kinoshita - Chair of Environmental Subcommittee, Japan Advertising Agencies Association
• Kaori Kuroda - Executive Director, CSO Network Japan
• Taikan Oki - Professor, Integrated Research System for Sustainability Science, The University of Tokyo Institutes for Advanced Study - Senior Vice-Rector, United Nations University - Assistant Secretary-General, United Nations