This is according to Emmanuelle Nicholls, event director of the upcoming iPAD Rwanda Power & Infrastructure Investment Forum in Kigali in November.
She adds: “the high-level support from the government and parastatals was paramount to last year’s successful launch of iPAD Rwanda when we welcomed more than 250 industry experts and stakeholders in Kigali. With our follow-up event this year from 5-6 November we will once again offer the perfect platform for private investors, project developers, consultants, technology and solution providers and financiers looking for opportunities in Rwanda’s energy, infrastructure and mining sectors.”
Market entry for investors
Official government partners are the Rwanda Energy Group Ltd (REG), comprising the Energy Development Corporation Ltd and the Energy Utility Corporation Ltd, the Ministry of Infrastructure, Rwanda Development Board and the Rwanda Utilities Regulator Authority are once again official partners for the event. Says headline speaker and CEO of REG, Mr Jean Bosco Mugiraneza: “the two day forum provides market entry for international as well as local investors. We look forward to an interactive B2B conference agenda alongside a product showcase with site visits demonstrating the proactive nature of Rwanda’s business climate”.
New on the programme this year says iPAD Rwanda’s Emmanuelle Nicholls will be “a special session that will explore the synergies between the mining and power industries, shedding the light on upcoming projects capturing investment opportunities for the year ahead. Additionally the Forum will showcase utility management challenges and best practices, demonstrating Rwanda’s proactive nature to work with the private sector in order to drive sustainable growths and operations”.
She adds: “furthermore, visits to recently commissioned projects will be undertaken to offer access to restricted sites and highlights successful implementation, encouraging further developments and investments into the country’s untapped energy potentials.
Conference will provide direct access
Says Emmanuelle Nicholls: “this year’s conference agenda will provide direct access to project tenders, ventures for the year ahead while exploring the sector’s regulatory environment, utility management and best practices while identifying key constraints that are hindering the sector from advancing to its potentials.”
She continues: “participants are able to identify new business opportunities and partnerships in their specific sectors of interest by joining the roundtable discussions focused on the procurement of power projects in Rwanda’s energy sector.”
Programme highlights of iPAD Rwanda
The opening session will set the tone on the overarching conference theme “Creating a user intensive energy market” in a dynamic discussion between state officials and key stakeholders highlighting mining and energy synergies.
Confirmed conference speakers and panellists:
- Hon. James Musoni, Minister of Infrastructure, Ministry of Infrastructure of the Republic of Rwanda
- Hon. Germaine Kamayirese, Minister of State in charge of Energy and Water, Ministry of Infrastructure of the Republic of Rwanda
- Francis Gatare, CEO, Rwanda Development Board, Rwanda
- Mr Jean Bosco Mugiraneza, CEO, Rwanda Energy Group Ltd (REG)
Quick snapshot on Rwanda’s energy sector from 2014 to date:
• Generation capacity increased by 41MW (from 119MW to an estimate of 160MW)
• National connectivity increased by 3% (from 20% to 23%)
• Official reform of national utility for sustainable progress took place during August 2014
• Primary decision makers changed, newly appointed officials entered to aid progression
• Third easiest place to do business in Africa and best performing country in the region (East and Central Africa) according to the World Bank Doing Business 2015 report
Targets to be achieved in the next 36 months:
• 70% national connectivity rate (47% to develop)
• 563MW generation capacity (403MW to develop)
• Require total investment of USD$ 3 billion to deliver the total 563 MW and 70% connectivity rate by 2017-18.
Source: Rwanda Energy Group
Leading international engineering and construction company STEG International Services (STEG-IS) is returning as the platinum sponsor for the event.
The iPAD Rwanda Power & Infrastructure Investment Forum is organised by Spintelligent, leading Cape Town-based trade exhibition and conference organiser, and the African office of Clarion Events Ltd, based in the UK.
iPAD Rwanda dates and location:
Exhibition & Conference: 5-6 November 2015
Site visit: 7 November 2015
Location: Kigali Serena Hotel, Central Kigali, Rwanda