Meliá Hotels International continues to be the only “Biosphere Hotel Company” in the world according to the Responsible Tourism Institute (supported by UNESCO). The leading hotel company in Spain has achieved certification for the second time thanks to its company-wide environmental, social and cultural commitments and its growth as a responsible and sustainable company.
The most significant achievements include:
• The recently renewed and successful Strategic Alliance with UNICEF for the Protection of Children’s Rights, through which the hotel company has raised awareness amongst over a million customers and employees in 22 countries and has raised more than 1.3 million euros worldwide.
• Progress in its agreement with the ONCE Foundation to promote the employment of people with disabilities in the workforce and to make hotels more accessible for the physically disabled, as well as removing barriers to access to information on the corporate website.
• The definition and distribution of the first Meliá Hotels International Code of Ethics, reinforcing its commitment and relationship model with all stakeholders.
• Communication of the Global Sustainability Policy to all stakeholders, using all possible internal and external channels.
• The individual calculation of the Environmental Footprint of 187 hotels, as well as the consolidation of the company energy-saving programme.
• The introduction of new tools for managing internal talent such as the Performance Review process, the creation of a Talent Pool or the Moving Up internal recruitment tool, all aimed at enhancing the professional development of employees.
According to the Vice Chairman and CEO of Meliá Hotels International, Gabriel Escarrer,"this progress reflects the sustainable growth model to which we are committed and is based on ensuring a balance between economic growth, responsible management of resources and socio-cultural diversity in the destinations in which we operate."
This commitment was fully integrated into company strategy after approval of its Global Sustainability Policy, which defines targets and indicators to guide the sustainable growth of the group in all areas. Meliá Hotels International (solmelia.com) was also one of the first private companies to subscribe to the principles defined by the World Council for Sustainable Tourism which standardizes global responsible tourism criteria such as the "Biosphere Hotel Company".