NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Park City, UT, United States, 2013/08/15 - Silver Retreats survey results surprise many and will explain why employee incentives can turn the company investment into a win/win. Why use a corporate retreat company when the company has the staff? - SilverRetreat.com.
This is a good question and many companies often start doing their own corporate retreats or events, but later hire a corporate retreat company, like Silver Retreats. According to a recent survey, 87% of corporations say that their primary reasoning to hire third party is peace of mind. That's right, not budget or staff, it is peace of mind. The other 13% were a mix, some had their staff plan events and retreats, but found that it didn't save them money and others felt that they lost more revenue production was interrupted in the planning process.
Let's just take a moment to consider all the necessary parts of managing company events or scheduling a corporate retreat and the associated time that investment is costing:
• Researching, creating, and calling multiple locations to accommodate each group
• Creating a booking contract and setting-up payment options
• Securing quality housekeeping and chefs for private retreats
• Securing reservation paperwork and other details
• Follow-up with staff regarding directions or transportation
• Dealing with setting up the conference or banquet area
• Renting projectors, microphones and projectors
• Making sure presentations and equipment arrive at the location
• Booking guest speakers that engage employees
• Managing all accounting and bookkeeping related to properties that are rented
• Schedule team building exercises or activities.
Companies can easily find that the work involved is equivalent to a full-time job (or more). Worse the meetings don't engage the employees, because the event was rushed and the message wasn't clear.
By hiring an experienced corporate retreat management company will not only get peace of mind, but will ease the burden of each event, resulting in better meetings, more engaged employees, less overhead cost and lower stress. If this sounds like something the company would like to avoid then it is time to hand the job over to the experts at Silver Retreats - "Where World-Class Service and Luxury Meet!"
The Silver Retreats Difference
At Silver Retreats, it is our mission to build a place for people to relax, reconnect, celebrate and live their best lives. Silver Retreats wants employees and companies to be a part of the mission.
Professional, Dedicated and Local
Silver Retreats is fully licensed and ready to serve the needs of companies and associates. When working with Silver Retreats, the work done is with the actual owners of the business. Silver Retreats clearly understand the business and the owners have been on both sides of the corporate retreat and event planning spectrum. Silver Retreats knows about old-fashioned employee retreats. The type of retreats that are secretly dreaded because it entails sitting around a table for two days while employees listen to a supposed expert talk about how to maximize supply chain or how to boost morale and create a winning team. If this sounds like the company events in the past, then it is time to step it and take employees on a team building experience that will be never forgotten!
Silver was founded by 3X Olympian and 2002 Olympic Silver Medalist and known team leader, Bill Schuffenhauer, who has perfected an incredible retreat experience as a result of his lifelong passion for team building. His Chief Operating Officer, Jyl London has 16+ years of experience in directing Fortune 500 companies, leading high performing employees and has received countless awards for motivating teams internationally. Together Bill and Jyl have perfected an incredible retreat, that is like no other. The combined experience of these two, lifelong passions for helping others and treating everyone like VIP will guarantee an outstanding experience that is far from the typical retreat. It is no wonder why it is receiving award after award for its outstanding service and value since the team paired up.