Equinix, Inc., the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that The Priceline Group, a leader in global online hotel reservations, is leveraging Platform Equinix™ to scale its operations rapidly and meet the growing demands of the online travel industry. Through the utilization of a virtualized architecture in Equinix’s DC6 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Ashburn, Virginia, Priceline has reduced its server count by 40 percent and achieved a 50 percent reduction in power consumption since deploying at Equinix. As a result of the deployment, Priceline has also improved its response time significantly.
Highlights / Key Facts
• Prior to turning to Equinix, one of Priceline’s two U.S. infrastructure deployments was housed in a Tier 1+ colocation facility that had a number of limitations including a lack of key redundancy features, required power density and a peering fabric.
• Priceline needed to expand its infrastructure to continue to scale its business and wanted a modern data center facility that offered geographic separation from its existing site. The company was looking for a provider with a Tier 3 or better rating, carrier neutrality with access to the top telecommunication players and the ability to develop internet peering relationships.
• Platform Equinix provides Priceline with a global footprint of IBX data centers, and the ability to connect with partners and customers via Equinix’s business ecosystems and a global marketplace. Together these components help Priceline accelerate its business by safeguarding its infrastructure, improving performance and enabling peering with the widest variety of partners.
• Priceline is also deployed with Equinix in London and is currently migrating to a large suite in Equinix’s newest IBX in Slough.
• The Priceline Group includes Booking.com, priceline.com, Agoda.com and Rentalcars.com and provides online travel services to more than 180 countries in Europe, North America, South America, the Asia-Pacific region, the Middle East and Africa.
Ken Jones, senior vice president of technology operations, The Priceline Group:
“After visiting Equinix’s facilities in Washington D.C., New Jersey and London, we were convinced that Equinix was the data center provider for us, particularly given such benefits as best-in-class colocation and carrier neutrality. In the Ashburn facility, for example, we are a cross connect away from peering with more than 150 partners. The Equinix data center campus environment also allows us to scale quickly without needing to excessively over-provision for the future.”
Chris Sharp, general manager, cloud and content for Equinix:
“The Priceline Group has found in Equinix a global provider that is able to support its global expansion while also achieving reduced application response times, increased access to carrier and peering partners and easy deployment in our highly secure facilities. With 100 data centers in 31 major business markets, Equinix is the right choice for companies such as Priceline to rapidly deploy a scalable, global footprint while maintaining our premium standards of performance, reliability, security and network choice.”
Keyword Tags: Equinix, data center, IBX, colocation, Priceline
The Priceline Group (Nasdaq: PCLN) is a leader in global online hotel reservations, with over 235,000 participating hotels worldwide. The Group is composed of four primary brands Booking.com, priceline.com, Agoda.com and Rentalcars.com and several ancillary brands. The Priceline Group provides online travel services in over 180 countries in Europe, North America, South America, the Asia-Pacific region, the Middle East and Africa.
Equinix, Inc. (equinix.com), connects more than 4,000 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 31strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc. International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
GolinHarris for Equinix
Liam Rose, GolinHarris
P: +1 415-318-4380 - E: lrose[.]golinharris.com.