Focused on making applications smarter and enabling its customers to increase consumer engagement and create new revenue streams, Rovi will highlight a number of its technologies and services including: DivX®, Rovi Entertainment Store™, Rovi Data™ and Rovi Cloud Services™ at the show.
“The current state of entertainment search and discovery capabilities on mobile devices as well as the interaction between mobile devices and the home entertainment systems leaves much opportunity for improvement,” said Corey Ferengul, EVP of Product Management and Strategy for Rovi Corporation. “Rovi’s portfolio of technology solutions – entertainment data, guidance, content access, and high-quality video playback – provides a robust platform that can help mobile manufacturers and operators turn their smartphones and tablets into consumers’ pocket entertainment system and share content across devices seamlessly.”
Rovi’s Portfolio of Solutions for Mobile includes:
• Rovi Data – Rovi’s extensive global catalog of data on multimedia content includes 3.9 million television programs, over 500,000 movies, and more than 3 million music albums and 30 million music tracks. While enabling an engaging mobile entertainment experience, this content also encourages continuous discovery that can increase consumption and sales. Rovi Data is the keystone for extensive entertainment search and discovery capabilities, enabling mobile app developers and manufacturers to create rich entertainment applications for a more visually robust and interactive consumer experience. In addition, the breath of Rovi Data solutions in the marketplace can help enable discovery across different services and applications.
• Rovi Cloud Services – Rovi Cloud Services is a suite of entertainment-focused web services, which include real-time access to Rovi Data, search, and recommendation technologies. The services enable developers to customize their own products and easily differentiate their offerings with sophisticated features that increase the connected entertainment experience.
• DivX Video Services and DivX Device Certification – A suite of content protection, delivery and playback solutions across multiple platforms and devices, DivX Video Services combined with the DivX Certification program promotes the high quality viewing of personal and protected premium video content in DivX (.divx and .avi), DivX Plus® HD (.mkv), and DivX Plus Streaming formats. DivX certified devices contain digital rights management technology to enable the secure playback of premium content in these formats via local on-device storage, streaming over a home network using DLNA, or streaming directly to devices using Rovi’s own adaptive bitrate streaming technology. Rovi’s suite of DivX products and services, help consumers easily access and enjoy the wide range of internet and Hollywood video entertainment available across an extensive, multi-manufacturer device ecosystem. More than 80 million DivX Certified mobile devices have shipped worldwide from leading CE manufacturers to date.
• Rovi Entertainment Store – Now powering over a dozen storefronts, the Rovi Entertainment Store is an end-to-end, white-label solution for entertainment retailers, service providers, consumer electronics (CE) and mobile device manufacturers, and content owners interested in launching over-the-top (OTT) content acquisition services to consumers. Resulting services empower consumers to discover, purchase, manage, and enjoy a broad range of new movies and TV shows on multiple platforms and devices.
• TotalGuide xD – TotalGuide xD is a white-label search and discovery application designed for seamless operation with Rovi i-Guide® and Passport® Guide. TotalGuide xD™ uses Rovi Cloud Services, such as search and recommendations and advertising services.
• Rovi Personal Media Manager – Personal Media Manager™ is a standards-based digital media management software application with advanced identification tools and extensive entertainment metadata that enables consumers to easily clean, stream and share their digital media, regardless of source or location. Personal Media Manager is available as a white label application that can be branded by mobile manufacturers and application developers.
At CTIA 2012, Rovi will demo a variety of solutions in their conference room, MR-1128, including:
• Rovi Cloud Services (RCS) on iOS and Android demonstrates the use of Rovi Cloud Services in various applications available today.
• DivX Plus Streaming™ showcases the high quality video performance and multi-screen interoperability of the DivX Certified device ecosystem.
• All Music Mobile™ and Rovi What’s on TV™ Applications highlight an immersive, entertaining use case for Rovi Data.
• TotalGuide xD on iOS is an implementation of Rovi TotalGuide xD solution that connects and extends the cable video experience from set-top boxes to mobile screens, including tablets and smartphones.
• Rovi Entertainment Store on Android demonstrates the possibility of using Android devices to purchase and playback content on the go.
• Personal Media Manager on Android, PC and Mac showcases software for Android, PC and Mac that enables consumers to manage their entertainment media.
Rovi is currently working with a number of applications and services such as Livewire Mobile, MOG, Pandora and Slacker to deliver a compelling entertainment experience to consumers.
About Rovi Corporation
Rovi Corporation (rovicorp.com) is focused on revolutionizing the digital entertainment landscape by delivering solutions that enable consumers to intuitively connect to new entertainment from many sources and locations. The company also provides extensive entertainment discovery solutions for television, movies, music and photos to its customers in the consumer electronics, cable and satellite, entertainment and online distribution markets. These solutions, complemented by industry leading entertainment data, create the connections between people and technology, and enable them to discover and manage entertainment in an enjoyable form.
Rovi holds approximately 5,100 issued or pending patents worldwide and is headquartered in Santa Clara, California, with numerous offices across the United States and around the world including Japan, China, Luxembourg, and the United Kingdom.
Forward Looking Statements
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words "will" or "is expected to," or similar words that describe the Company's or its management's future plans, objectives, or goals, are "forward-looking statements" and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of the Company to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in the Company's most recent report on Form 10-K for the period ended December 31, 2011 and such other documents as are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time (available at sec.gov). The Company assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law.