NewswireTODAY - /newswire/ -
San Francisco, CA, United States, 2011/11/28 - Being Human 2012: Science, Philosophy & Your Life announced today that Jane Hirshfield, prize-winning International poet, will join the slate of world-class talent for March 24, 2012, Being Human event at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco.
Being Human 2012 will bring together pioneers in science and philosophy to explore in a public forum exciting new insights on the nature of human experience. In addition to Jane Hirshfield, other world-class speakers who will guide this interactive exploration include, among others, best-selling author and neuroscientist David Eagleman, psychologist and pioneer in the study of emotions Paul Ekman, and scientist and mindfulness teacher Jon Kabat-Zinn.
“We are delighted that Jane Hirshfield will join us for Being Human 2012,” said Peter Baumann, founder of San Francisco-based think tank The Baumann Foundation and creator of the Being Human initiative. “Ms. Hirshfield has an unique capacity for cultivating awareness and articulating human experience through her poetry, which speaks to the central issues of being human. We look forward to her participating in this exciting exploration with us.”
Being Human 2012 (BeingHuman2012.org) will take place from 9:00am - 5:30pm at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco.
Areas of inquiry include: How does the nonconscious mind influence the decisions we make? What is the relationship between self and culture? Are you who you think you are, or is that just an illusion? What does science tell us about our relationship with fellow humans? Is humanity still evolving?
- Richard J. Davidson, Ph.D., Founder and Chair, Center for Investigating Healthy Minds, Waisman Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- David Eagleman, Ph.D., Neuroscientist, Professor of Neuroscience and Psychiatry, Baylor College of Medicine, and best-selling author
- Paul Ekman, Ph.D., Manager, Paul Ekman Group, LLC
- Anne Harrington, Ph.D., Professor of the History of Science, Harvard University
- Jane Hirshfield, Prize-winning International Poet, Translator, and Essayist
- Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D., Professor of Medicine, Emeritus, University of Massachusetts Medical School
- Beau Lotto, Ph.D., Neuroscientist and artist, Lottolab
- Hazel Markus, Ph.D., Davis-Brack Professor in the Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University
- Thomas Metzinger, Ph.D., Professor of Theoretical Philosophy, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
- V.S. Ramachandran, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Center for Brain and Cognition, UC San Diego
- Gelek Rimpoche, Founder, Jewel Heart, Tibetan Buddhist Center
- Laurie Santos, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Psychology, Yale University.