NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Pune, Maharashtra, India, 2011/08/23 - Persistent Systems, today announced availability of a solution accelerator for rapid integration of Skype video calling on embedded devices such as connected TVs, IP set top boxes, mobile internet devices, media phones etc. BSE & NSE: PERSISTENT
The solution accelerator developed by Persistent’s Multimedia technology group, is based on Skype’s SkypeKit SDK, and addresses complex challenges of enabling Skype video calling on a wide variety of embedded devices with diverse use cases. The solution accelerator has been successfully ported on several Tier 1 OEM chipsets running on Android and Linux operating systems, for IP-STB, Connected TV, and Internet multi-media device applications.
“Skype has revolutionized the Audio/Video communication experience over the internet,” said Sachin Kurlekar, Head of Persistent’s Multimedia Group. “With the proliferation of 3G/4G networks and broadband internet, it is estimated that the VoIP user base would exceed 100M by 2012, with Skype commanding a sizeable market share. With our solution accelerator, OEM’s can now rapidly integrate Skype into their solution, while complying with Skype’s stringent performance requirements.”
Persistent’s Skye video solution kit includes:
• Portability across operating systems (Linux, Android and other Linux variants) and processor platforms (ARM/MIPS/x86 core based platforms);
• Feature complete reference Skype GUIs developed in Qt, Flash, HTML & Android Java on Android;
• Memory scalability;
• Well defined interfaces and handshake points to integrate into OEM’s middleware;
• Support for External encoding H.264 USB cameras for TV/STB applications and standard YUV cameras for other applications;
• Support for 720p, VGA, QVGA resolution;
• Hot plug device event handler;
• Handling of application specific use cases (e.g. Skype on TVs/IP-STBs application layer use cases are different from Skype on Mobile Internet devices).
Processor companies, camera partners and customers have carried out closed room demonstrations of Persistent Skype Video demonstrations at leading technology events such as Computex Taipei, ANGA Germany and more.
For over a decade, Persistent has partnered with companies to develop mobility solutions. With a team of 350+ dedicated engineers, the Embedded & Mobility Business Unit at Persistent has successfully delivered over 50+ product releases every year for carrier-grade, enterprise-class and consumer applications.
About Persistent Systems
Established in 1990, Persistent Systems (persistentsys.com) is a global company specializing in software product development services. For more than two decades, Persistent has been an innovation partner for the world’s largest technology brands, leading enterprises and pioneering start-ups. With a global team of 6,600+ employees, Persistent has 300+ customers spread across North America, Europe, and Asia. Today, Persistent focuses on developing best-in-class solutions in four key next-generation technology areas: Cloud Computing, Mobility, BI & Analytics, Collaboration across technology, telecommunications, life sciences, consumer packaged goods, banking & financial services and healthcare verticals.