The 3D World CG Awards salute the work of the entire industry: from the artists pushing the boundaries of illustration, animation and visual effects to the developers creating the tools that make it all possible.
The 14 categories include five technology awards and nine creative awards, including VFX Feature Film of the Year, Best Use of CG in Advertising and CG Videogames Award.
Nominees have been chosen by a 17-strong panel of industry experts, representing each area of the CG industry and including representatives from leading film studios Pixar, DreamWorks and ILM.
See the nominations now at cgawards.3dworldmag.com. Winners are revealed in 3D World’s commemorative Awards issue on 14th September 2011.
Sponsors of the first 3D World CG Awards include headline sponsors Autodesk and category sponsors The Foundry, Workstation Specialists, e-on Software and iPi Soft.
Steve Jarratt, Editor of Future’s 3D World, says: “CG is the new star of Hollywood – dominating in film, TV shows and advertising and continually breaking new territory in videogames and visualisation. The big award ceremonies do recognise the work of CG and VFX specialists but it’s time that the hard work of the artists, technicians and developers was recognised in their own right. I hope the whole community will get behind us in honouring the best that this cutting-edge field has to offer.”
Fiona Tully, Publisher of 3D World, says: “3D World has been at the heart of the global CG community for more than a decade and we’re putting our full weight behind these Awards: using the magazine’s global readership and our growing online and social media audiences to celebrate the artistry and technology that powers this exciting industry. We’re delighted to have the backing of so many key players in the industry for this first year.”
At the heart of everything from Hollywood blockbusters to architecture, the CG industry was worth more than $75 billion in 2010 (Source: research company JPR).
3D World is the best-selling international magazine for the CG community, covering animation, VFX, games, illustration and architectural visualisation. 3D World reaches a monthly audience of around 100,000 3D professionals and enthusiasts in print and digitally.
For more information on the 3D World CG Awards and to vote visit cgawards.3dworldmag.com/.
3D World CG Awards in association with Autodesk – The Categories
• Technology Awards
• New Application of the Year
• Software Update of the Year
• Plug-in of the Year in association with Workstation Specialists
• Software Innovation of the Year in association with iPi Soft
• Hardware Innovation of the Year
• Creative Awards
• CG Animation of the Year (Feature Film)
• CG Animation of the Year (Short Form)
• VFX Feature Film of the Year (Long Form) in association with The Foundry
• VFX Film of the Year (Short Form)
• Best use of CG in Advertising (Marketing, Promotions, Virals)
• Arch Viz of the Year (Still Image)
• Arch Viz of the Year (Animation) in association with e-on Software
• CG Videogames Award (Animation/Graphics)
• CG Videogame Cinematics (FMV/Trailer)
3D World CG Awards – The Judges
• Stuart Adcock (Technical Art Director, Ninja Theory)
• Tim Alexander (VFX Supervisor, ILM)
• Jordi Barés (Joint Head of 3D, The Mill)
• Pascal Blanché (Art Director, Runescape, Jagex)
• Tim Brade (Technical Director, Aardman Animations)
• Rob Bredow (CTO, Sony Pictures Imageworks)
• Gustavo Capote (Art Director, Neoscape)
• Lee Danskin (Training Development Director, Escape Studios)
• Sofronis Efstathiou (National Centre for Computer Animation, Bournemouth University)
• Paul Franklin (VFX Supervisor, Double Negative)
• Andrew Gordon (Animator, Pixar)
• Andrew Lindsay (Director of Animation, Lionhead Studios)
• Jeremy Moorshead (Animation Department Chair, SCAD)
• Alex Morris (Founder, Alex Morris Visualisation)
• Shelley Page (Head of International Outreach, DreamWorks Animation)
• Ximo Peris (Creative Director, Crystal CG International)
• Jolyon Webb (R&D Art Director, Blitz Games Studios)
About 3D World
Established in 2000, 3D World is the globe’s best-selling magazine for 3D artists. It’s a bible for the industry and enthusiasts alike across the fields of animation, visual effects, games, illustration and architectural visualisation. Every issue provides analysis of the latest trends and technology, exclusive behind-the-scenes looks at key industry projects, tutorials and step-by-step guides, impartial product reviews and more.
Autodesk (autodesk.co.uk) is a leader in 3D design, engineering and entertainment software. Customers across the manufacturing, architecture, building, construction, and media and entertainment industries ¾ including the last 16 Academy Award winners for Best Visual Effects ¾ use Autodesk software to design, visualize and simulate their ideas. Since its introduction of AutoCAD software in 1982, Autodesk continues to develop the broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art software for global markets.
Future is a leader in the field of digital publishing and recently won both Consumer Publisher of the Year and the Grand Prix at the annual Association of Online Publishers Awards. Its web and mobile sites deliver 160 million page impressions every month to over 25 million unique users. Digital now accounts for a third of all Future’s commercial revenues. And its development of video on demand and apps is rightly regarded as market leading. Technology brand T3 is leading the way on iPad, becoming one of the top grossing apps in the UK and one of the very few five star apps in the world. The Future digital portfolio includes award winning and hugely respected brands including: techradar.com, cyclingnews.com, gamesradar.com, cvg.co.uk, musicradar.com and bikeradar.com/.