• India's first mobile wallet service by a telecom operator, airtel money allows customers to use their mobile phones to make payments – without the hassle of carrying cash or change;
• Following a successful first phase of launch in Gurgaon and Chennai, airtel money is now available for customers in Delhi, Noida, Ghaziabad and Faridabad;
• With a strong ecosystem of partnerships, airtel money is now accepted in over 2,200 merchant establishments across Delhi NCR.
Tired of running to the ATM machine for cash every time going you go to buy groceries at your neighborhood kirana store? Bored of standing in long queues this the summer's heat to pay your utility bills? airtel money is here!
Bharti Airtel, through its wholly owned subsidiary Airtel M Commerce Services Limited, today announced the launch of its mobile wallet service - airtel money, for its mobile customers in Delhi, Noida, Ghaziabad and Faridabad. Aimed at offering customers with an efficient alternative to cash transactions, airtel money will empower its customers with access to a convenient and secure way of making payments through the ubiquitous mobile platform. airtel has already established partnerships with over 2,200 merchants in Delhi NCR (including utility providers like NDPL, BSES Yamuna, BSES Rajdhani, Indraprastha Gas, LIC and organized retailers such as Easy Day, Chalchitra, Yo China, Costa Coffee, Hair n Shanti, DT Cinemas, Fun Cinemas among others as well as local chemists and grocery stores) who will accept payments via airtel money. Customers using airtel money will also be able to avail exclusive discounts and attractive offers at various merchant outlets in the market – and save money as they shop.
Commenting on the launch, Mr. Sanjeev Kumar, CEO – Delhi NCR, Mobile Services, Bharti Airtel said,"At airtel, it is our constant endeavor to introduce innovative products and services that delight our customers. We are today excited to announce the launch of airtel money for our customers across Delhi NCR, who will now be able to make cashless payments through their mobile phones – anytime, anywhere".
Mr. Sriram Jagannathan, CEO, Airtel M Commerce Services Limited added,"Whether buying groceries, shopping in a mall or eating out with friends – India has traditionally relied on cash to pay for just about anything. With changing times, this trend shifted towards the use of credit cards – and has now gone even a step further. Today, we are delighted to introduce airtel money in Delhi / NCR – a convenient and secure way of making payments through the mobile platform. Having successfully launched airtel money in Gurgaon and Chennai earlier, initial feedback on airtel money has been indeed promising. We are excited about bringing the airtel money experience to our 8 million mobile customers in Delhi / NCR - and look forward to transforming the way the city transacts". The service will soon be rolled out across the country, in a phased manner.
Where can you use airtel Money?
• Load cash: Load cash on your airtel mobile by visiting your nearest airtel retail outlet.
• Pay bills & recharge: You will be able to use this cash in your mobile for making bill payments (electricity, gas, financial services, etc.) and recharge
• Shop – make payments: Instead of cash, pay over-the-counter merchants such as your nearest kirana store, chemist, etc using your mobile phone. You can even sit at home and pay for services like booking movie tickets online.
How to use airtel money
• Register by filling in the application form and submitting KYC documents (2 photocopies of proof-of-identity, 1 copy of proof-of-address and a passport size photograph).
• After the above, your existing airtel SIM will be upgraded to the new 64K airtel SIM with airtel Money.
• Activate your airtel Money account by choosing your MPIN.
• Load cash into your airtel Money account by visiting your nearest airtel retailer
• You are now ready to send commands through the airtel Money application on your phone and transact anytime, anywhere!
In 2010, Airtel M Commerce Services Limited (a wholly owned subsidiary of Bharti Airtel Limited) was granted the license to use the Semi Closed Wallet by the Reserve Bank of India. The company has designed a secure and robust backend system, to offer India's first mobile based wallet service - airtel money.
To know more about airtel money, customers can dial 12121 (toll free) from their airtel mobile phones and get started. For more information, non-airtel mobile customers can dial 88000121 21or simply visit airtelmoney.in
About Bharti Airtel Limited
Bharti Airtel Limited (airtel.com) is a leading global telecommunications company with operations in 19 countries across Asia and Africa. The company offers mobile voice & data services, fixed line, high speed broadband, IPTV, DTH, turnkey telecom solutions for enterprises and national & international long distance services to carriers. Bharti Airtel has been ranked among the six best performing technology companies in the world by Business Week. Bharti Airtel had over 223 million customers across its operations at the end of April 2011.