The country accounted for less than 1% of the global fertilizers consumption in 2009, while China, India, and the United States together accounted for more than 50% of the market in the same year. Argentina has a very high vulnerability to the international prices of fertilizers and is a price taker in this market.
The total consumed volume was about 3 million tones during 2010, and the configuration of demand was similar to that of 2009. About 90% of total consumption in Argentina was of nitrogen and phosphate fertilizers, while the remaining 10% included other less employed types. The market is expected to reach demand volumes of 4.5 to 5.5 million tones by 2017 and although the market is entering a maturity stage, there is still room for demand increases in certain specific products. Among these are included liquid fertilizers, chemical blends, and specialty fertilizers.
"The main drivers for the fertilizers market in Argentina include favorable climate conditions, a positive cost-production ratio, provision of financial tools and logistical services", points out Isolina Lopez, Frost & Sullivan Research Analyst. "On the other hand, the current political scenario, droughts and climate unpredictability, inflation level and lack of fixed rules and reliable numbers can restraint the growth of this market", she says.
The total fertilizers market in Argentina presented revenues of $1.30 billion in 2009, a decrease of 18% compared to 2008, both years being heavily affected by the economic and agricultural crisis. By the end of 2010, revenues were approximately $1.50 billion. For 2017, the market is expected to be valued $2.51 billion, growing at a CAGR of 7.7% in the period 2010-2017.
If you are interested in more information on this study, please send an email to Tatiana Brull, at tatiana.brull[.]frost.com, with your full name, company name, title, telephone number, company email address, company website, city, state and country.
About Frost & Sullivan
Frost & Sullivan (frost.com) , the Growth Partnership Company, enables clients to accelerate growth and achieve best-in-class positions in growth, innovation and leadership. The company's Growth Partnership Service provides the CEO and the CEO's Growth Team with disciplined research and best-practice models to drive the generation, evaluation, and implementation of powerful growth strategies. Frost & Sullivan leverages 50 years of experience in partnering with Global 1000 companies, emerging businesses and the investment community from more than 40 offices on six continents.
Fertilizers Market in Argentina / N893-39