As a naval prime contractor, shipbuilder and systems integrator, DCNS combines resources and expertise spanning the naval defence value chain and entire system lifecycles. DCNS delivers innovative solutions from integrated warships to strategic systems, equipment, services and new energy solutions.
Chile was the first country to retain Scorpene at the very end of 1997. Less than 10 years later, the navy was equipped with two customised ships boasting the very latest technological breakthroughs as well as outstanding safety features. This project is a testimony of the DCNS commitment for long-term cooperation with local contractors, in Chile and throughout South America.
The DCNS stand showcases
• DCNS expertise in submarine design and construction, through the Scorpene medium-size submarines. Already chosen by the Chilean Navy and other first rank navies, Scorpene submarines represents the state-of-the-art in submarine design and construction and benefits from the latest technologies developed for nuclear-powered classes operated by the French Navy, particularly as regards acoustic discretion and combat system performance. Excellent endurance makes the Scorpene one of the few medium-displacement designs suitable for extended ocean patrol duties. The modular design can also be readily tailored to each customer’s specific mission profiles and other requirements.
• The Andrasta, a compact submarine designed to operate in coastal waters, a theatre of growing importance to all maritime nations. Being also a fearsome adversary in deep water, Andrasta combines a state-of-the-art design with stealth, agility and power. A direct descendant of the Scorpene, the Andrasta is remarkably effective in any underwater role that a client navy may wish to assign to it.
• Subtics®, which combines operational efficiency, high-performance sensors and long-range weapons. The system can be readily added to any new-build programme or integrated as part of a refit. It has been selected by several navies for Scorpene and Agosta 90B submarines, as well as for modernisation programmes for submarines already in service.
• CONTRALTO®, anti-torpedo countermeasure system, is the last generation product develops mainly to face against the appearance of new advanced torpedoes. This system, fully integrated with the CMS, is available for surface vessel and submarine. It can be readily incorporated into new-build designs or added to existing ships as part of a refit or modernisation programme. In 2009, DCNS signed two contracts to equip the entire French submarine fleet and the new Brazilian Scorpene.
• The projection and command ship or Mistral LHD is a multipurpose surface vessel designed to cover a broad spectrum of missions, including amphibious operations, crisis management, airborne operations, operational command, operational transport, healthcare support, humanitarian operations and freight transport. The operational capability and interoperability of the Mistral LHD were demonstrated in Operation Baliste off Lebanon and on sea trials with the US Navy (involving the LCAC and Super Stallion).
• The FREMM multi-mission frigates programme combines the latest technologies developed by the DCNS group. These technological and engineering advances make the FREMM frigates world leaders in their class. France’s total order is 11 vessels and the delivery is scheduled from 2012 to 2022. In addition, one FREMM frigate is currently under construction for Morocco and Italy confirmed the order of 6 units.
• The innovative Gowind® vessels, a new family of ocean-capable vessels designed by DCNS for all littoral and sea operations, are exceptional tools able to fulfil missions ranging from anti-piracy up to sea control and denial. Gowind® Control is ideal for patrol and sovereignty missions in EEZs and littoral waters, including the fast deployment of special forces and commandos. Gowind® Combat has a full-scale Mission Management System for full-scale multi-threat missions, including a full ASW suite with towed array sonar and improved stealth and survivability.
• Polaris is the latest member of the DCNS Combat Systems family. It is a sea-proven compact solution designed to fulfill Navies and Coast Guards’ needs for surveillance, littoral zone protection and Economical Exclusive Zone protection missions. POLARIS offers scalable functionalities that are built for maritime situation awareness, interoperability and surface warfare management.The functional core is a robust, optimized and capable tactical system, which takes benefit of DCNS Combat Systems already in service.
Last but not least, DCNS (dcnsgroup.com) offers services for every naval need, including through-life support, modernisation and training. Through agreements and partnerships with local shipyards and contractors like ASMAR and SISDEF, DCNS offers its expertise to client navies to meet technical and logistic support challenges.