NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
London, United Kingdom, 2010/11/23 - Smart Communications co-founder Orlando Vea and Globe Telecom CEO Ernest Cu are heading up a distinguished list of mobile money transfer business leaders in Asia Pacific at the annual MMT APAC conference and expo in Manila from 17-20 January.
“The Philippines was a pioneer in the mobile money transfer industry and this region is still one of the fastest developing areas for mobile payments innovation”, says MMT APAC director Sonum Puri, “everything really started here and mobile money is still advancing”. She continues: “Smart Communications and Globe Telecom are already looking at next-generation MMT in terms of their technology, customer uptake, integrated services and how they communicate with their clients via social media such as Facebook as well as new innovations through other online portals. This is the cutting edge of the industry, and these businesses are looking past the original, unbanked customer base which the early mobile money transfer industry was aimed at.”
Half the MMT customer base in Asia Pacific
In 2013 there will be nearly half a billion customers of mobile money using services such as domestic money transfers, m-banking and international remittances. In 2015 there will be 894 million mobile money users globally and more than half of the customer base will come from the Asia Pacific region.
MMT APAC director Sonum Puri notes: “the evolution of mobile payments systems has the potential to allow mobile network operators, banks and micro finance institutions to access a far wider market, and not just the under banked and under served. Markets where MMT has been slow to take off are looking at using new technologies including contactless, NFC (Near Field Communication) and micro SD cards to offer utility and bill collection.”
Industry leaders addressing MMT APAC include:
• Keynote: Driving mobile money growth in Asia Pacific... why The Philippines continues to be a leader – Orlando B Vea, Chief Wireless Advisor & Co Founder, Smart Communications, Inc.
• Keynote: Globe GCASH executing on telco-financial service convergence – Ernest L. Cu, President & CEO, Globe Telecom, Inc.
• Keynote: The pilot, launch and management of M-Paisa mobile money transfer service – Shailendra Prasad, M-Paisa Product Manager, Vodafone Fiji
• What you need to know about the regulatory environment for MMT – best practices from The Philippines – Nestor Espenilla, Deputy Governor, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP)
• How to position your mobile banking strategy in Malaysia – Vickneswaran Balasubranium, Senior Financial Services, DiGi Communications
• Launching the world’s first commercial launch of NFC services in South Korea – Eun-seok Kim, Deputy Director, Mobile Data Business Unit, M-Financial Business Team, Korea Telecom.
For more information visit Mobile-Money-Transfer.com/.