Squish can test applications based on a variety of GUI technologies, including:
- Nokia's Qt Software Development Frameworks;
- Java SWT/Eclipse RCP and AWT/Swing;
- Mac OS X Carbon/Cocoa;
- native Windows (MFC, .NET, etc.);
- iPhone/iPod/iPad CocoaTouch;
- ...and others...
Squish can test applications on many different platforms, such as:
- Linux and various Unices (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, etc.);
- Mac OS X;
- Embedded platforms.
Squish is being successfully used in QA departments across the world in hundreds of companies both large and small, including, for example, American Power Conversion, ARM, EADS, Ericsson, France Telecom Group, General Electrics, Reuters Financial Software, Siemens, Synopsys, and Xilinx.
Squish 4.0 delivers many major new features including:
- Complete compatibility with existing tests created with Squish 3.x. Squish 4.0 includes considerably improved and extended testing APIs, but still supports the old Squish 3 APIs to ensure that migration is as painless as possible.
- A completely new cross-platform GUI test development environment (IDE) based on Eclipse technology. The new IDE provides a much more convenient and powerful environment for creating and maintaining Squish tests. This includes new easy to use workflows, the ability to insert verification points while recording tests, the recording and insertion of test code snippets to extend existing tests, the ability to test an already running application, and much more. (The classic IDE is still provided so that customers can switch to using the new IDE separately, after they have completed the migration to using the Squish 4.0 tools, if they wish.)
- A new Squish edition that supports the automated GUI testing of native Windows applications based on toolkits such as MFC, .NET, Windows Forms, Visual Basic, PowerBuilder and so on.
- A new Squish edition that supports automated GUI testing of CocoaTouch iPhone, iPod Nano and iPad applications.
- Advanced support for complex controls (e.g., Qt's graphics/view framework, the WebKit module, and QML), and much better support for items in list, table, tree, and similar controls (and whose items can now be treated as objects in their own right).
- Several major improvements in the existing Squish editions. This includes an extension plugin system for all Squish editions, improved and more convenient script APIs, and greatly improved script recording that produces shorter and faster test scripts, and much more besides.
- Full support for the testing of hybrid GUI applications, such as testing web content embedded in a desktop GUI, native Windows controls embedded in Java, Qt, or Web GUIs or desktop applications started by web frontends via technologies such as Click Once or Java Web Start.
- Squish's toolkit wrappers now automatically support access to custom application objects, thus reducing or eliminating the need to create custom bindings.
A new Squish plugin to integrate Squish test runs into the Hudson framework.
A new Squish plugin to integrate Squish test runs into the Seapine TCM framework.
- Greatly improved documentation, with new tutorials, far more examples in the user guide, an extensively updated and improved reference guide, and with test code for all quoted examples provided in all the scripting languages that Squish supports.
"With Squish 4.0 we have broadened Squish's scope to encompass more GUI technologies, and at the same time made Squish easier and more convenient to use, as well as more flexible and powerful. Throughout the development of Squish 4.0 we made technical previews and betas available to customers and used their feedback to ensure that we stayed focused on and responsive to our customers' practical needs. We are very excited to finally release this major new version of Squish to the public." said Reginald Stadlbauer, CEO and co-founder of froglogic.
A 10 minutes introduction video to Squish 4.0 is available at froglogic.com/.
The Squish 4.0 is now available to froglogic's customers and evaluators. If you are interested in Squish or would like to learn more about Squish, please contact sales[.]froglogic.com or visit squish.froglogic.com/.