VMS is launching VeriFi-CCTV, the most advanced professional CCTV quality assurance and compliance package on the market. The VeriFi package will be launched at the NEC Facilities Management Show later this month.
VeriFi is designed to address the threat to businesses highlighted by the police opinion that 80% of CCTV evidence is not fit for purpose (as stated in the Home Office National CCTV Strategy document).
Businesses often rely on CCTV footage in employment law or health & safety cases. Poor quality CTTV footage, badly presented in court, is easily discredited by a smart lawyer. That’s where the optional VeriFi forensic editing service can be used to bring simultaneous footage from multiple cameras onto the same screen and timeline. All too often these are shown as confusing separate discontinuous footage leading to confusion and acquittal. VeriFi can also highlight and enhance the key areas so the jury understands clearly what is going on.
Brian Larkins, joint managing director of VMS (CCTV) Ltd says, “In reality, the financial cost of losing such a case is the real CCTV risk. It’s much more of a risk than the oft-quoted 90% non-compliance figure for CCTV systems. Yes, the Information Commissioner’s Office can now impose a £500,000 fine for Data Protection Act breaches-- but this is only for the most serious breaches of the Act. It's evidence the Commissioner is at last growing teeth. But that sensationalist 90% non-compliance figure includes minor infringements. A fine of such size is highly unlikely in the case of, for example, a poorly signed CCTV system.”
VMS has assembled a nation-wide team of CCTV experts to deliver VeriFi, each with many years professional experience. They use unique VeriFi software to provide a secure, reliable and accessible support service delivered to a common standard throughout the UK. The VeriFi team administer the quality assurance, system assessments, plus a chain of evidence audit, backed by a specialist forensic video editing capability to ensure that video evidence is coherently presented in court.
The VeriFi Online service can also be delivered via Security Service Providers and Corporate Business Standards Audit Departments. Irrespective of who prepares a VeriFi Online report, all are submitted to rigorous quality assurance checking before the end user is provided with username and password to access the report.
Larkins says, “There are plenty of CCTV compliance auditors and standards out there. But in terms of producing effective CCTV evidence quality, which is the one thing that really matters, they all leave major loopholes. We cover the whole gamut, from the statutory requirements to the complexities of managing subject access rights applications - which includes the masking of unconnected third party images that may be present in the footage that has been requested.
In cases where the efficacy of systems is disputed, the VMS consultancy service uses the National Operational Requirement Mannequin as an objective benchmark to measure system performance.
VeriFi is the first comprehensive quality assessment service for CCTV including:
1. Site Specific CCTV Policy document
2. Information Commissioner’s Office – Data Protection Act – Compliance
3. Human Rights Act – Compliance
4. Forensic Video Editing – On Demand
5. Subject Access Rights Management – VeriFi provides professional management of applications including masking of unconnected third party images
6. Statutory Information Signs – Fitted
7. Annual System Performance Assessment - Included
8. Management Documentation – Supplied
9. Consumables – Included
10. Annual Management Audit - Included
11. Public Information – Online
12. Staff Awareness – Managed
13. Public Complaints Procedure – Managed
14. Security of Images – Checked
15. Discreet Evidence Download Service – Available
16. Best Practice – Quality Assured and kept up to date
VMS are on stand D85 at the Facilities Show, 11-13 May at the NEC Birmingham
ENDS (Background Information follows)
For interview requests, comment and photos, please contact Penny Haywood Calder, MD, PHPR Ltd, on 0131 669 5190 or 07850 657 714.
About VMS & VeriFi CCTV
• VMS is a specialist CCTV compliance and forensics company based in Hampshire, UK.
• Founded in 1990 by CCTV veteran, Brian Larkins, VMS is jointly run by Brian and his son, Steve Larkins. They concentrate on providing practical solutions for CCTV management, from consultancy through to an unrivalled range of CCTV compliance support products.
• VMS has thousands of clients across a wide range of sectors, including financial institutions, retail and prisons.
• VMS have amassed a national network of CCTV Assessors working under the VeriFi CCTV brand, using unique software to ensure nation-wide quality.
• NSI approved CCTV installers or guarding companies can elect to become VeriFi assessors and include the service as an element within their annual maintenance charge.
• Alternatively, large corporate organisations with in-house standards audit departments can incorporate VeriFi CCTV into their own facility.
• Or independent VeriFi assessors may be employed directly.
Founding Pre-Launch VeriFi Team:
Brian Larkins - Joint Managing Director of VMS.
Has over 30 years experience in the security industry and formed VMS over 10 years ago. Brian has recently spent 3 years developing the CCTV auditing element of the business culminating in the planned launch of VeriFi in May 2010.
Steve Larkins - Joint Managing Director of VMS.
Has over 20 years experience in the CCTV industry and has been responsible for the design and production of VMS products for the past 10 years. More recently Steve has been developing the VeriFi video forensics and editing element of the business.
David Morse – Associate Director responsible for Quality Control and also acts as an independent VeriFi Assessor.
A fully qualified electronics engineer, David has over 20 years experience in the CCTV and electronic security industries including service with Chubb and Thorn-EMI. He served a two-year term as Chairman of the CCTV Section of the British Security industry Association and writes regularly about CCTV issues for the security press. He is a member of both the CCTV User Group and The Security Institute.
Andy Brooks - Associate Director responsible for National Account Business Development and also acts as an independent VeriFi Assessor. Has 30 years experience designing and delivering technology solutions which include electronic and physical security, vehicle access control and parking management systems for government, healthcare, transportation, utilities, financial and commercial organisations in the UK. Wrote the "Parking Practice Notes for the use of CCTV in Parking Facilities" for the British Parking Association and is an accredited Professional Security Manager by TUV Rheinland.
Robyn Sones – Regional Associate South East responsible for regional business development.
Runs the CCTV Advisory Service, an Independent consultancy and web based information company dedicated to disseminating general information concerning Closed-circuit television (CCTV) and linking customers to quality organisations who can meet their specific requirements.
Mick Tricker – Associate independent VeriFi Assessor in the South of England.
Ex-police, crime prevention design adviser, and trained as a counter-terrorism security adviser. Involved in the redevelopment of CCTV at Heathrow airport. This project was the largest of its kind in the world, involving thousands of CCTV cameras. Tricker Consultants Ltd specialises in CCTV and all aspects of security.
Sandra Eastlake – Regional Associate South West responsible for regional business development.