Many organizations have more spreadsheets than they are aware of - often hundreds of thousands. Reporting which are active and how frequently they are changing can be difficult when they are spread across user workstations and multiple file servers - and with no central control because they are used by different groups and departments.
The Spreadsheet Usage Monitor is available as a free tool so that organizations can start the process of controlling and managing corporate spreadsheets. Users will see exactly where spreadsheets are stored and how often they are being changed.
Based on the Spreadsheet Discovery module of the ComplyXL Enterprise suite, this spreadsheet discovery and continuous monitoring utility can be configured to track when spreadsheets are used across any number of network servers.
It's also very efficient. The Spreadsheet Usage Monitor utility builds up a profile of spreadsheet use by asking file servers to let it know when files are accessed or saved so only information about files that are really used is ever recorded. As a consequence, there's no need to constantly scan file servers and workstations for changes to files which is expensive and slow.
Once the full scale of spreadsheet use is apparent, managers and auditors can see how and where controls need to be put in place - this is where ComplyXL comes in.
Using Spreadsheet Usage Monitor:
- Provides an inventory of spreadsheets so managers and auditors can profile spreadsheets and their use;
- Build and report on the profile of spreadsheet use such as file locations, name, the action taken by a user (open, save, close) with date created or modified;
- Users specify which folders are monitored, with any number of folders or subfolders included;
- Can be configured to run on a desktop or continuously as a Windows service;
- Different file extensions can be monitored such as .xls, .xlsx or .xlsm
The Spreadsheet Usage Monitor is available free from the Lyquidity website to businesses at usage monitor. If you are ready to take the next step and see how ComplyXL helps organizations from insurance, commodities to manufacturing and airlines, please contact us.
ComplyXL at a glance
ComplyXL is an enterprise class spreadsheet management and control environment which ensures full version control for, and maintains a change history of, corporate spreadsheets without the need to move spreadsheets or change the use of Excel in any way.
Managers and compliance staff are able to see and report the changes occurring to spreadsheets across the organization: which cells have changed, how they have changed, who made the changes, when and for what reason. Managers and compliance staff can choose to be notified instantly of any changes to critical spreadsheets and can even specify the types of change of interest.
The built-in Manager Approval Process allows all changes to be approved while ensuring critical spreadsheets continue to be available for update so business processes are unaffected.
• ComplyXL applies version control without moving spreadsheets so there's no impact upon the web of workbook inter-dependencies;
• Full version control and change history;
• Manager Approval Process supports an approvals workflow without locking up spreadsheets;
• Full inventory of spreadsheets;
• Instant notification of specified changes to spreadsheets;
• No change to the use of Excel and end users do not need to be aware of the control provided by ComplyXL.
About Lyquidity Solutions
Lyquidity Solutions (lyquidity.com) is a leading spreadsheet management software company providing corporations with compliance tools such as ComplyXL to ensure corporate governance. With technology for full spreadsheet control and management Lyquidity provides solutions to international organizations across market sectors from banks and insurance through to airlines, consultants, healthcare and mining.
US inquiries please call 1-800 401 0289 or email info[.]lyquidity.com.