NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Berlin, Germany, 2010/03/10 - The World Travel Awards (WTA) today unveiled at ITB Berlin the nominations for its 2010 awards, as well as a number of new categories to reflect the changing face of travel and tourism.
Over 5,000 organizations spanning 162 countries have been nominated by industry peers for a chance to win the most coveted prize in travel and tourism.
Nominees range from destinations, tourist boards and airlines to luxury hotels, travel technology providers and adventure tour operators.
Online voting was opened at 9am GMT today, and provides both the trade and the consumer an opportunity to support their favourite brands in the bid for travel glory.
WTA has also unveiled a series of enhancements to mark the first Grand Tour of a new decade.
Technology is top of the agenda with a host of new categories, ranging from “Leading New Hotel Website” to “Leading Dynamic Packaging Product”.
The awards programme, which serves to encourage best practice within the industry, is also honouring its commitment to sustainable tourism. A number of new green categories – spanning cruise, destinations, hotels and tour operators – aim to reward those brands striving for innovative and responsible solutions to the environmental crisis.
Competition in this year’s WTA will undoubtedly prove hotter than ever.
Graham E. Cooke, Founder and President, World Travel Awards, said: “We have been overwhelmed with the tremendous response to self nominations, which have grown a phenomenal 50 per cent on 2009.”
“This increase, in the face of a global recession, demonstrates the vital role that World Travel Awards now plays within the travel industry. More multinational companies than ever, ranging from Etihad Airways and TAP Portugal to InterContinental Hotels, Universal Studios and Disney, are spearheading their global marketing campaigns with their award victories,” he added.
This level of accountability has led to WTA becoming the “Oscars” of the global travel industry, broadcast by BBC World News and other networks to over 254 million households worldwide and attended by the industry’s key decision makers.
Graham E. Cooke added: “As the tension surrounding the awards begins to mount we are looking forward to revealing the leading players at the regional ceremonies during the year, and tracking their progress as they head to London for our Grand Final on the eve of World Travel Market 2010.”
About World Travel Awards
• The World Travel Awards (worldtravelawards.com) was launched in 1993 to acknowledge and recognise excellence in the world’s travel and tourism industry.
• Now celebrating its 17th Anniversary, the awards is regarded as the very highest achievement that a travel product could ever hope to receive.
• Thousands of votes are cast by travel professionals from 183,000 travel agencies, tour companies and tourism organisations in 162 countries.
• Votes are cast globally by fellow industry professionals in 998 different categories.
• Attended by senior executives from major travel companies, operators and destinations, WTA events are universally respected as providing established, top-level networking opportunities, regionally and globally.