Adultery twice as likely in marriages than in long-term relationships -
Nearly half of all husbands and wives have committed adultery according to CupidBay.com
A survey of US users of the dating website1 showed that 45% of married people have been unfaithful compared to only 21% of those in long-term relationships. In addition, the study revealed that 27% of those faithful within marriage said they regretted being so monogamous. The survey also highlighted that 37% of people believed that marriage actually incited cheating.
When it came to pre-marital sex, 39% of men considered one last fling at their bachelor party, but in reality only 14% actually had. On the other hand, 27% of women considered straying at their bachelorette party but only 7% actually did. Of those who indulged in a final pre-martial fling; a mere 9% of men called off the wedding compared to 76% of women. Yet despite this, 36% more women than men enjoyed their pre-wedding blow-out so much that they considered calling things off because single life was too tempting2.
Furthermore 71% of women admitted that they’d considered spying or employing somebody to spy on their partner at their bachelor party; in reality 23% of women actually did. Curiously, while men were the primary love cheats, 77% men still believed that fidelity was a perfectly attainable ideal in a modern relationship and 70% of women agreed.
“We live in a disposable culture where nothing seems to be for keeps; jobs, furniture, clothes or even the people we marry. Infidelity has consequently become so normal that its taboo-status of past times has all but disappeared.” said Francis Deacon, relationship expert for CupidBay.com. “Nowadays, a work-play imbalance, a belief that the grass is always greener on the other side and the urge to always want what you can’t have are some of the most common reasons why people cheat. The desire to re-live the sexual excitement of a new or illicit relationship is also a strong contributor. The key is communication. Many problems can be resolved before they get to the point of no return, if you can take some time out of your evermore hectic schedule to talk to and invest in your partner.”
1Based on 89,563 US users surveyed 2 33% of women and 21% men respectively
CupidBay.com is an international friendship and dating website. It is one of the few sites of its kind which offers a completely FREE service. This includes:
• Free registration
• Ability to create detailed personal profiles
• Upload video profiles and personal greetings up to 10MB
• An advanced matchmaking facility
• Send and receive unlimited messages
• Real time chat room – both national and international
• Discussions forum (including love & relationships; news, politics & current affairs; philosophy; literature; music; health; motoring and computers)
• A Rate Me facility where users can opt to be put up for the sexiness vote
• An Email a Friend feature – send member profiles to a friend for a possible love match
In addition, premium members can also:
• Send priority messages to people
• Have their picture and profile displayed on both the home page and profile page following log in.
• Create and manage their own private chat room
• Enhance messages and postings with an extensive choice of smilies
CupidBay launched its first premium service in November 2004. It now has over one million active users from over 200 different countries. It receives over 35 million page impressions a month.