Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced it is launching two new breakthrough mass spectrometers at ASMS 2009, the Thermo Scientific LTQ Velos and LTQ Orbitrap Velos. The LTQ Velos features an innovative dual-pressure trap and advanced ion optics, making it the world's fastest and most sensitive linear ion trap mass spectrometer. The LTQ Orbitrap Velos combines the new Velos technology with the industry-leading Orbitrap mass analyzer and a new Higher-Energy Collisional Dissociation (HCD) cell to deliver ultra-high resolution and accurate mass data.
These systems can be seen at Thermo Scientific booth 99 or the Thermo Scientific hospitality suite at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown in Salons G-K during the conference, which runs from June 1-4. In addition, Thermo Fisher Scientific is introducing eight other mass spectrometry solutions designed to deliver better analytical performance and greater ease of use in a broad range of applications.
"These new MS instruments give our customers a huge advantage in resolving the high levels of analytical complexity they find in areas like proteomics and metabolism," said Dr. Ian Jardine, vice president of global research and development for Thermo Fisher Scientific. "The outstanding data quality and sensitivity of the LTQ Velos make it ideal for analyzing complex mixtures, such as identifying low level proteins and structural elucidation of metabolites. Similarly, the high mass accuracy of the LTQ Orbitrap Velos increases the speed and confidence of protein identification in complex samples by minimizing false positives."
Featured new technologies at ASMS include:
• Thermo Scientific LTQ Velos - A unique dual pressure trap technology features two discrete pressure regions that allow the decoupling of ion manipulation and detection. This enables the utilization of optimal pressures during analysis, increasing both scan speed and resolution. The LTQ Velos can be upgraded to the LTQ Orbitrap Velos, allowing laboratories to extend their initial investment to include accurate mass and ultra-high resolution capabilities with no compromise to sensitivity and speed of analysis.
• Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap - The new HCD cell in the LTQ Orbitrap Velos is more efficient, resulting in improved quantitation of isobarically-labeled peptides, such as applications requiring tandem mass tags (TMT). Electron Transfer Dissociation (ETD) generates complementary information for highly sensitive PTM analyses and de novo sequencing. Additionally, the system's ultra-high resolution delivers certainty in analytical results by enabling molecular weight determination for intact proteins and in-depth analysis of isobaric species.
• Thermo Fisher is also introducing two new products designed to increase the productivity of quantitative proteomics research. The products are Intelligent Selective Reaction Monitoring (iSRM), which improves the throughput of SRM assays and Pinpoint software, for automated method development and quantitative analysis of SRM-based targeted peptide assays.
• Thermo Scientific Watson LIMS 7.4 - The newest version of this popular LIMS software now includes a built-in data interchange with the company's TSQ Series mass spectrometers, allowing for direct data acquisition, peak integration and re-integration, storage, archiving and reporting of raw data, all under the control of Watson's centralized Oracle database repository.
• Thermo Scientific Mass Frontier 6.0 - The new version of this powerful software package offers many sophisticated features for the management, evaluation and interpretation of MSn spectra. The software is applicable to small molecule structural elucidations in a wide range of applications, including metabolite identifications and impurity analysis in pharmaceutical and toxicology studies.
• Thermo Scientific TSQ Quantum Access MAX triple-stage quadrupole mass spectrometry system and TraceFinder software - This complete workflow solution for food and environmental safety testing helps laboratories meet increasingly stringent monitoring requirements, simplify analysis and boost productivity. This system performs structural confirmation and library matching, enabling it to confirm and quantitate hundreds of compounds in a single experiment.
• Thermo Scientific Accela 600 Pump - Designed for high flow rate applications, this pump provides accurate and precise flow and gradients under all operating pressure conditions with minimum pulsation. A delay volume of only 90 ?L reduces pump equilibration and system cycle times. The Accela 600 Pump provides quaternary capabilities with flow rates up to 5mL/ min and a maximum operating pressure of 600 bar.
For more information about our mass spectrometry solutions, please visit Thermo Scientific booth 99 or the Thermo Scientific hospitality suite at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown in Salons G-K during ASMS 2009.
Thermo Scientific is part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With 2008 revenues of $10.5 billion, we have approximately 34,000 employees and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. The Thermo Scientific brand represents a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific (thermo.com) provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike.