NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Montréal, Québec, Canada, 2009/04/24 - In 4Q08, worldwide revenue for the overall WLAN market decreased by 2.4% year-over-year (YoY), down from $1.19 billion in 4Q07 to $1.16 billion in 4Q08.
Electronics.ca Publications, the electronics industry market research and knowledge network, announces the availability of a new report entitled "WLAN Market Share Report".
2Wire and Thomson were big winners in the 2008 Wi-Fi market, growing their shipments by nearly 60% annually. Each significantly out-performed the overall market, gaining market share, according to a market research report available at Electronics.ca Publications. 2Wire achieved 11% share, while Thomson's share grew to almost 8%. Market share among the other leading competitors, Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link was flat or down in 2008 compared to 2007.
In 4Q08, worldwide revenue for the overall WLAN market decreased by 2.4% year-over-year (YoY), down from $1.19 billion in 4Q07 to $1.16 billion in 4Q08. Despite the overall market decline in 4Q08, revenue and shipments of draft 11n products grew by over 80%.
While all markets are challenged in the current economic climate, according to the report, Wi-Fi is expected to continue to do well as its low cost, flexibility, and maturity make it a valued technology for both businesses and consumers.
The research found the following:
• Quarter-over-quarter (QoQ) worldwide Wi-Fi revenue declined by 5.2%, with shipments also declining YoY and QoQ.
• In the consumer/SMB category, D-Link, NETGEAR, Buffalo, and 3Com, all had increases of draft 11n AP shipments in 4Q08.
• Q4 2008 market share for Draft n NICs was 31.6%, 22.3%, 19.7%, and 12.5% for Linksys, D-Link, NETGEAR and Buffalo, respectively.
The research report examines the WLAN market for 4Q08. Market shares for enterprise and SOHO/consumer vendors are provided, based on unit shipments and manufacturer's revenue for the quarter. The data is segmented by air standard and equipment form factor, including:
• Total, Access Points, NICs
• Multimode, 802.11g, Draft N
• By Region: North America, EMEA, Asia Pacific, ROW
Details of the new report, table of contents and ordering information can be found on Electronics.ca Publications' website.