Annuvia Inc., a national provider of CPR AED Classes, First Aid Training, Automated External Defibrillator (AED) sales, and customized emergency response training services, released an unauthorized and inaccurate press release regarding a six-month-old Cardiac Science voluntary field corrective action.
In a statement today, Annuvia VP of Business Development Micah Bongberg said, “We deeply regret distributing a March 18, 2009 press release that misrepresented an October, 2008 voluntary field corrective action as a March, 2009 corrective measure. Additionally, we wish to make it clear that Annuvia is not authorized to assist owners of Cardiac Science AEDs and is not an authorized dealer or in any way authorized to act on Cardiac Science’s behalf.”
Annuvia will remove from its Website all Cardiac Science trademarks and references to Cardiac Science, its products and services, unless expressly authorized otherwise by Cardiac Science.
Annuvia asks the media and AED industry to cease distribution of the March 18 release and to run this correction. Specifically:
1. The field corrective action Cardiac Science initiated in October 2008 involved a simple software upgrade to affected AEDs that customers were able to perform on site. It did not require device replacement.
2. Cardiac Science never suggested user-initiated testing to determine if a device was affected by the October, 2008 field corrective action.
3. Customers with AEDs included in the October, 2008 field corrective action were notified by and received upgrade kits directly from Cardiac Science. Cardiac Science also provided its customers other tools with which to ensure optimal performance.
4. Cardiac Science AEDs do not need to be replaced as a result of this field corrective action. A simple software upgrade is a sufficient corrective action.
5. AEDs are USFDA-regulated medical devices, and Cardiac Science therefore distributes its Powerheart and other AEDs only through authorized dealers in order to facilitate its ongoing compliance with federal regulations relating to medical devices and to protect the public (in the event, for example, of a voluntary field corrective action). Annuvia is not an authorized dealer of Cardiac Science products. Customers with questions pertaining to this field correction should contact Cardiac Science directly on the Cardiac Science Web site or by calling 877.502.2673 (inside the U.S.) or +44.161.926.0011 (outside the U.S.).
About Cardiac Science
Cardiac Science (cardiacscience.com) develops, manufactures, and markets a family of advanced diagnostic and therapeutic cardiology devices and systems, including automated external defibrillators (AEDs), electrocardiograph devices (ECGs), cardiac stress systems and treadmills, Holter monitoring systems, hospital defibrillators, cardiac rehabilitation telemetry systems, and cardiology data management systems (informatics) that connect with hospital information (HIS), electronic medical record (EMR), and other information systems. The company sells a variety of related products and consumables and provides a portfolio of training, maintenance, and support services. Cardiac Science, the successor to the cardiac businesses that established the trusted Burdick®, HeartCentrix®, Powerheart®, and Quinton® brands, is headquartered in Bothell, Washington. With customers in more than 100 countries worldwide, the company has operations in North America, Europe, and Asia. For information, call 425.402.2000.
For more information:
Mike Matysik, Cardiac Science Corporation
Senior Vice President and CFO
EVC Group Inc.
Christopher Gale, EVC Group Inc.
Annuvia (annuvia.com) is a leading national provider of health, safety, emergency preparedness and emergency response services in the nation. They assist businesses and organizations with health training programs from preventative solutions like healthy eating habits and exercise programs to CPR AED Classes, First Aid training, AED Defibrillator sales, and customized workplace safety and preparedness training.