Embarcadero Technologies is providing data management professionals with a model-driven approach to discovering and communicating the traceability of data in the enterprise from its source to its target destinations with ER/Studio 8.0, released today. ER/Studio includes Visual Data Lineage, a feature that helps data architects and modelers solve business issues around data integration, consolidation and regulatory compliance.
ER/Studio 8.0 is the first professional data modeling tool to offer a visual representation of data lineage within an enterprise, allowing data professionals to conduct impact analysis between data sources and targets, as well as to visually analyze and document data flow without having to inspect code.
“With the onslaught of compliance regulations and the heightened need to understand and document data sources, the task of effectively tracing data lineages has never been more important,” said Ron Lewis, senior security analyst for CDO Technologies. “With its new Visual Data Lineage functionality, ER/Studio 8.0 simplifies the way we trace data movement among databases and flat files, which ultimately helps us better understand the data assets within our government customers' organizations. This benefits us across numerous domains – facilitating data consolidation, SOA migration, FISMA compliance, and DIACAP needs.”
Other key features new with ER/Studio 8.0 include Lightweight Directory Application Protocol (LDAP) integration, attribute-level submodeling, object-level compare flags and database management system (DBMS) support for Sybase IQ 12.5 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008.
“The already strenuous job of data management is under more pressure with the litany of industry mergers & acquisitions, compliance regulations and SOA initiatives, which have triggered an unprecedented need for tools that improve the quality and consistency of data that exists within an organization,” said Michael Swindell, vice president of products for Embarcadero Technologies. “By providing companies with a deep understanding of their business data, ER/Studio helps them reduce the many risks associated with managing it.”
Key new features and benefits of ER/Studio 8.0 include:
• Visual Data Lineage: A visual representation of where data resides and how it flows and changes throughout the enterprise, empowering users with an automated, flexible process, and richer metadata.
• LDAP Integration: An automated way to manage user access in the repository through LDAP and Active Directory integration, reducing the need to duplicate user account changes in the repository’s security layer.
• Enterprise Architecture Support: Provides data architecture support at the enterprise level by adding business process modeling and conceptual modeling through EA/Studio to the tool’s existing data modeling capabilities.
• Attribute-level Submodeling: A feature that enables users to select specific attributes they want displayed in each submodel, making it easier for companies to manage complex models where specific entities have collections of attributes that are important to different audiences.
• Expanded DBMS Support: With support for Sybase IQ 12.5 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008, ER/Studio remains the only data modeling tool to support all of the major database management systems, providing users with the flexibility to work with any database type.
Embarcadero’s ER/Studio Modeling Suite
Embarcadero’s suite of modeling tools provides a complete environment for analyzing, designing, creating and maintaining business process models, conceptual models, logical models and physical models to meet the needs of both data modeling and enterprise architecture modeling. Available for purchased separately or together, the tools comprised in Embarcadero’s modeling suite include data modeling (ER/Studio), a server-side model repository (ER/Repository), metadata search and reporting (ER/Portal), business process and conceptual modeling (EA/Studio), schema validation (Schema Examiner), and a metadata integration tool (MetaWizard).
ER/Studio 8.0 is now generally available worldwide. For more information on ER/Studio or Embarcadero’s full suite of modeling tools, visit Embarcadero online.
About Embarcadero Technologies
Embarcadero Technologies, Inc. (embarcadero.com) empowers application developers and database professionals with tools to design, build and run software applications in the environment they choose. A community of more than three million worldwide and 90 of the Fortune 100 rely on Embarcadero’s CodeGear™ and DatabaseGear™ product lines to increase productivity, openly collaborate and be free to innovate. Founded in 1993, Embarcadero is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices located around the globe.
Embarcadero, the Embarcadero Technologies logos and all other Embarcadero Technologies product or service names are trademarks or registered trademarks of Embarcadero Technologies, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.