MAI originated the P2P concept as a new approach to meet facility needs for school districts.
The program’s objective was to explore new and creative alternatives to increase the number of classrooms. This was achieved by replacing portable buildings with permanent prototypical classroom buildings while renovating existing facilities. Due to its success, MAI has renewed their commitment to the P2P program and will utilize it on upcoming projects. Advantages of this approach include:
• Replaces portables with 2-story permanent classroom buildings;
• CEQA not required – negative declaration only;
• No DTSC site approval required;
• Facilitates neighborhood school use, thus reducing busing;
• Construction phase coordinated with interim classrooms.
The P2P concept is being utilized for seven new classroom buildings at seven sites for the Oxnard School District: Chavez, Curren, Driffill, Harrington, Kamala, Lemonwood and McKinna Elementary Schools. Project status as follows:
• Chavez Elementary New Classroom Building is a 61,395 gsf, $14 million building with 32 classrooms, administration, library, lunch shelter and parking. Completed 2006.
• Curren Elementary New Classroom Building is a 39,735 gsf, $12 million 2-story, 22 classroom building with amenities similar to Chavez. Under construction, near completion and occupancy.
• Kamala Elementary New Classroom Building is a 41,196 gsf, $12 million building with 20 classrooms, 2 kindergartens, 2 RSP rooms and other amenities similar to Chavez. Under construction, near completion and occupancy.
New potential projects include:
- Driffill Elementary New Classroom Building – funding being approved.
- McKinna Elementary New Classroom Building – funding being approved.
- Harrington Elementary New Classroom Building – future funding.
- Lemonwood Elementary New Classroom Building – future funding.
Martinez Architects, a California corporation, was founded in 1981 by Norberto R. Martinez, AIA, and provides architectural design, planning, interior design, LEED AP and construction administration services.
Martinez Architects (martinezarchitects.com) is a 100% minority-owned business firm and uses small business firms and small disadvantaged business firms as consultants whenever possible.
Martinez Architects, Inc., 8405 Pershing Drive, Suite 20 Playa del Rey, CA 90293.
Martinez Architects, Inc., 755 Lakefield Road, Suite C Thousand Oaks, CA 91361.