Alternative Technology, Inc., an Arrow Electronics, Inc. company and leading specialty distributor of thin client/server based computing, edge infrastructure, virtualization, and security solutions, today announced the addition of Wyse Technology, the global leader in thin computing, to its government approved procurement list.
Thin computing is a computing architecture that shifts computing from the desktop or client to the host server accessible over the network, improving access to and security of critical business applications, while reducing support and maintenance functions. Wyse thin clients run Windows, Java, Linux, UNIX and Web based applications on central servers, using a thin display protocol. Applications do not traverse the network and are not downloaded into the thin client, eliminating user security and bandwidth issues common with PCs. The increased availability of high bandwidth network connections enables Wyse solutions to run at near desktop speeds, making it easier and more acceptable for government workers to use thin clients in mission critical applications.
“The addition of Wyse products to Alternative Technology’s GSA schedule allows us and our channel partners to tap into a growing market need by government workers to access centrally hosted applications over high bandwidth network connections,” said John Stubbs, vice president of business development, Alternative Technology. “With Wyse Technology’s off the shelf thin client solutions, they can do so with increased security, manageability, and reliability, while at the same time reducing their IT costs”
“Federal, state and local government markets have a strong need for our technology, and adding our thin computing solutions to Alternative Technology’s GSA schedule enables us to better serve that marketplace,” said Dorothy Farris, vice president of strategic sales for Wyse Technology, Inc. “Alternative Technology has an excellent reputation in the VAR community, particularly for its strong network infrastructure focus and its technical services and education programs, which enable VARs to more easily support federal, state, and local markets with GSA approved products.”
The benefits of thin computing are not only limited to manageability, reliability and increased security. In fact, the energy reduction benefits of thin computing are growing in importance as businesses and governments look for ways to reduce carbon emissions. Some of the ways that Wyse's thin computing deployments are helping organizations and departments to reduce their carbon footprint include:
- Thin clients use 55% less electronics, 36% less plastics, and 25% less metal in their manufacture compared with comparable PC systems;
- Up to 90 percent of the unit can be recycled;
- Thin clients require significantly less power than PCs, thereby reducing CO2 emissions;
- Low heat output means less power needed for air conditioning systems;
- Thin clients meet stringent ISO 14001 & ROHS certification;
- Thin clients meet mandatory WEEE recycling process;
- Longer product lifespan over a PC.
Wyse has made it full line of thin client solutions for authorized VARs to sell to federal, state, and local government entities via Alternative Technology’s General Services Administration (GSA) Schedule, including:
- Wyse thin client hardware runs Windows, Java, Linux, UNIX, and web based applications safely on central servers using a thin computing protocol.
- Wyse™ WSM provisioning software. This product enables thin clients to run Windows applications locally, by automatically delivering a PC OS and Applications to the clients in real time over standard LANs.
- Wyse TCX Suite works with both Citrix ICA and Microsoft RDP protocols, enhancing them to support multiple monitors, a broad range of USB peripherals, and deliver the best multimedia experience with thin devices.
- Wyse™ Device Manager (WDM) software provides the granular asset tracking that IT wants by giving IT administrators the information they need about each hardware device.
Wyse Technology is the global leader in thin computing. Wyse and its partners deliver the hardware, infrastructure software, and services that comprise thin computing, allowing people to access the information they need using the applications they want, with better security, manageability, and at a much lower total cost of ownership than a PC. Thin computing allows CIOs and senior IT professionals to reduce costs, manage risk, and deliver access to information. Wyse partners closely with industry leaders Microsoft, Citrix, VMware, and others to achieve this objective. Wyse is headquartered in San Jose, California, with offices worldwide. For more information call 1 800 GET WYSE
About Alternative Technology
Alternative Technology is a leading specialty distributor for value added resellers who need products and services targeted at thin client/server based computing, edge infrastructure, virtualization, security, and wireless markets. Driving the widespread adoption of leading edge technologies by bridging the gaps between products and services to solve critical business problems, Alternative Technology identifies business issues that are key to its markets and offers multivendor solutions that drive demand back through its reseller partners. Alternative Technology, headquartered in Englewood, Colo., has offices in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., Carlsbad, Calif., and Mississauga, Canada. Alternative Technology is a wholly owned subsidiary of Arrow Enterprise Computing Solutions, which is a business segment of Arrow Electronics, Inc. (NYSE: ARW). For more information email: sales[.]AltTech.com or call toll free: 800.544.7674 (USA), or 866.240.9991 (Canada).
All brands and names mentioned herein are trademarks of their respective holders.