NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Lausanne, Switzerland, 2005/12/16 - WEYCO, Inc. a service company specializing in Employee Benefit Plans (EBP) and Benefit Management (BM) receives large coverage on its recent tobacco-free policy announcement.
As The World Health Organization (WHO) announced recently a new hiring policy that will reject all smoking applicants.
In Michigan, a state where Weyco, Inc., a service company specializing in Employee Benefit Plans (EBP) and Benefit Management (BM) instituted recently a policy that bans employees from smoking even in nonwork hours and tests employees to ensure compliance. Howard Weyers, Weyco, Inc.'s Chief Executive says the policy aims to reduce massive healthcare costs.
According to Weyco, tobacco is a major killer and drain on health-care resources.
• Michigan's smoking-related health-care costs amount to $2.65 billion a year.
• Lost employee productivity due to smoking totals another $3.4 billion.
• Every Michigan household pays $557 in taxes for smoking-related illnesses annually.
• Each smoker costs his employer more than $4,000 a year in absenteeism, medical benefits, and earnings lost to sickness or premature death, etc.
• Smoking kills 4.9 million people worldwide each year.
• In Michigan, the smoking death toll is 16,000 a year—more than alcohol, AIDS, car crashes, illegal drugs, murders, and suicides combined.
Any private Michigan business organization has the right to protect itself from the enormous financial damage that tobacco users inflict upon society by destroying their own health.
About Weyco, Inc.
Weyco, Inc. was founded in 1979. In 1983, the company became a licensed Michigan Third Party Administrator (TPA) to administer self-funded medical, dental, vision, and short-term disability plans. Weyco is a service company specializing in Employee Benefit Plans (EBP) and Benefit Management (BM). The company is headquartered in Okemos, Michigan.