PTC today announced it has expanded its solution portfolio of new Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) solutions to accelerate software and systems engineering. This expansion includes PTC Global Software Development, PTC Model Based Systems Engineering, PTC Software Modeling, and PTC Requirements & Validation. Available exclusively through subscription, the portfolio simplifies solution acquisition and license administration processes and enables customers to streamline collaboration.
PTC ALM solutions enable successful collaboration, automation and reuse across teams and disciplines. Each solution is purpose-built to meet the needs of software engineers, systems engineers, requirements and quality analysts and process architects all while supporting collaboration with the extended product team.
“Customers are looking to PTC to improve their ability to compete in an increasingly smart, connected world,” said Roque Martin, general manager, application lifecycle management, PTC. “Our new solutions deliver the simplicity, interoperability and IoT innovation that, together, embody a fresh look at ALM. These solutions were specially packaged to help organizations thrive in the transformational years that lie ahead.”
Available today are four PTC ALM solutions:
1. PTC Global Software Development. Software has continued to increase exponentially in products, making them smarter and safer. For example, while previous generations of automobiles relied exclusively on electro-mechanical controls, today there are over 100 million lines of code in the average luxury vehicle.(1) The PTC Global Software Development solution enables organizations to transform their software engineering practices in order to streamline compliance while improving product quality, lowering costs, and reducing development cycle time.
2. PTC Requirements and Validation. Poorly understood or changing requirements are a consistent source of delivery problems, and are cited by Forrester as the number one reason that organizations fail to deliver on time.(2) The PTC Requirements and Validation solution empowers teams to specify, define, verify and validate requirements throughout the product lifecycle. Featuring end-to-end traceability, change and configuration management and requirements interchange, this comprehensive solution enables organizations to deliver higher quality, more innovative products that meet customer needs.
3. PTC Model-Based Systems Engineering. Product complexity has almost doubled in the past four years to become the top system engineering challenge. Helping them to overcome this situation, Best-in-Class companies are 122% more likely than competitors to have a strategy to improve their ability to predict system behavior prior to testing.(3) The PTC Model-Based Systems Engineering solution captures, communicates and simulates systems design through a standards-based, visual design language. This enables early, rapid, concurrent exploration of options, improved cross-discipline collaboration, high rates of re-use, and accelerated time-to-market.
4. PTC Software Modeling. According to the Electronic Engineering Journal, system design teams have a high ratio of software to hardware engineers often on the order of ten-to-one.(4) The PTC Software Modeling solution allows embedded, IoT and other software developers to work in the intuitive and standards-based UML design language, and automatically generate software code in popular programming languages. Changes to either models or code are automatically synchronized. The resulting integration of design and development enables customers to accelerate software delivery time, eliminate manual coding errors and ensure fidelity of requirements, models and code.
PTC offers convenient subscription options for each solution, with the flexibility to rebalance software seats, reduce upfront costs, and develop a transparent payment schedule with license and support bundled together in one subscription. The subscription offerings enable customers to:
• Simplify solution acquisition, with comprehensive packages of capabilities aligned to team needs;
• Streamline collaboration, with licenses designed to maximize collaboration across your company;
• Simplify administration by eliminating the burden of managing licenses not tied to customer value.
These PTC ALM solutions (ptc.com) offer companies easier budgeting with lower upfront costs and align those costs to immediate benefits. Companies can predict exactly what they will pay now and in the future with consistent, transparent payment schedules and software and support bundled together in one subscription.
“A subscription model can make it easier for organizations to follow the peaks and valleys of product development,” said Michelle Boucher, vice president, Tech Clarity. “With a subscription model, companies have more flexibility to equip product development teams with the best engineering software available while also preserving capital budget to invest in innovation.”
1. IDC, Melinda Ballou,“Business Strategy: Integrating Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic, and Software Development”, chart on page 3. 100M LOSC in average luxury auto (2014).
2. Forrester, Kurt Bittner,“Brief: Software Requirements Practices Are Ripe For Disruption”, Figure 1, page 2, April 24, 2014
3. Aberdeen Group, Reid Paquin,“The Systems Engineering Closed Loop Process: The Key for Validation”, pages 1-2, April 2014
4. Electronic Engineering Journal, March 17, 2015: Software Defines Everything. “Most system design teams we talk to today have a very high ratio of software to hardware engineers - often on the order of ten-to-one.”