• Partnering to design advanced multi-room service & unique consumer offering for households without Internet easy and secure sharing of Live TV to multiple devices;
• Guiding StarTimes’ first initiative in developing advanced platform for multiscreen and evolving new services in Africa.
Conax, part of the Kudelski Group, and a leader in total service protection for digital TV and entertainment services via broadcast, broadband and connected devices, announced today that it has entered a contract with StarTimes to co-develop a media gateway solution for its Africa operations. With over five million DTH and DTT subscribers and operations across 16 countries, the operator is one of the largest players in the region. In their expanded cooperation, Conax will provide StarTimes with security client Conax Trusted Link™, security expertise and the technical blueprint for designing and deploying a complete, secure multi-room service. The unique new “Whole Home” solution will provide an advanced service for Africa households making it much easier to share Live TV and PVR within the home, without needing an Internet connection.
The cooperation further strengthens StarTimes long-time partnership with security provider Conax and will be the first initiative in fulfilling StarTimes’ ambitions to build a next generation platform for its expanding Africa operations. Serving households without Internet access is the key differentiator between the unique stand-alone Conax/StarTimes solution and traditional media gateway solutions. Delivery is planned for Q4, 2015.
The media gateway solution will be based on a highly advanced master PVR developed by StarTimes, and supplemented by tablets, smart phones and a secondary simple low-cost Android set-top-box. The new service will enable all live content from the master PVR, plus PVR recordings, streamed to supplementary in-home devices. Consumers can also program and steer the PVR from the in-home devices.
Conax will deliver Conax Trusted Link™, a new purpose-built security client for in-home distribution of content from a media gateway to a selection of STBs, tablets and smartphones. The distribution of both live TV content and PVR content within the home is fully controlled through Conax Contego™. In addition, Conax will provide the StarTimes technical team with guidance in the base design of the media gateway solution; in both security and interaction design. StarTimes’ highly experienced technical team will develop and build the media gateway, secondary STBs, and the tablet and smart phone apps.
- StarTimes Group Chairman and President, Mr.Pang Xinxing,“StarTimes is the fastest-growing digital TV operator in Africa with an ambition to ensure our brands are perceived as highly reliable operators offering a colorful bouquet of services and the highest quality customer service, at competitive rates. As we plan our advanced platform, the new solution with Conax provides an extremely attractive service offering as well as the opportunity for StarTimes Africa operators to introduce multi-room and multiscreen features without adding additional hardware.”
- “I am highly confident that our long time technical partner and security advisor Conax has the knowledge and expertise to help us develop and deliver a range of advanced new services and future-ready platform to further grow our business across Africa.”
- “Conax is very excited to embark on this exciting venture together with StarTimes”, confirms Morten Solbakken, President and CEO, Conax. And we are highly proud of StarTimes and Mr. Pang Xinxing’s commitment to Conax for guidance and security advice in developing an advanced, future-oriented platform ready for new advanced services, supporting their growth ambitions in new markets.”
- “Conax has an 11 year relationship with StarTimes. The joint media gateway initiative is yet another example of innovation that Conax is creating together with StarTimes and their highly skilled technical team.”
StarTimes (en.startimes.com.cn) was founded in 1988, and headquarter in Beijing. It is a certified Hi- Tech enterprise and “Cultural Exports Key Enterprise”. Startimes has also been granted a special honor of being the only certified private enterprise to contract foreign projects in the Radio & TV industry. It has found its name five times in the Forbes of the enterprises of great potential.
A part of the Kudelski Group, Conax (conax.com) is a leading global specialist in total service protection for digital TV and entertainment services via broadcast, broadband and connected devices. The Conax Contego™ unified security hub provides telcos, cable, satellite, IP, mobile, terrestrial and broadband operations with an innovative portfolio of flexible and cost-efficient solutions to deliver premium content securely. Conax’ future-ready technology offers modular, fast-time-to-market solutions that enable easy entry into a world of secure multiscreen, multi-DRM content delivery. Headquartered in Oslo, Norway, ISO 9001 & 27001 certified Conax technology enables secure content revenues for 400 operators in 85 countries globally.