Celebrating the region’s triumphs and successes in 2014/2015, the industry is able to nominate candidates for seven award categories in the awards, ranging from Power Transaction of the Year, Clean Energy Project of the Year to the category of Outstanding Woman in Power.
“We regard these awards as long overdue as it is high time that the outstanding power professionals and projects in the East African region are recognised and honoured” says Natalie Bacon, programme director of EAPIC, taking place at the KICC from 27-28 August. She adds: “the seven awards categories will highlight those companies and executives who have been responsible for pioneering new frontiers, pushing boundaries, inspiring others and achieving growth in turbulent and challenging markets.”
Panel of judges
An accomplished list of industry experts has agreed to form a panel of independent judges that will decide on the winners.
• Arlete Sando, Electricidade de Moçambique, Mozambique
• Brian Mushimba, Eskom, Uganda
• Caroline Kimathi, Electricity Regulatory Commission, Kenya
• Charles Muchunku, KEREA, Kenya
• David Otwoma, National Commission for Science Technology and Innovation, Ministry of Education, Kenya
• Emma Kiilu, Electricity Regulatory Commission, Kenya
• Gordon Molefe, Botswana Power Corporation, Botswana
• Hindpal Jabal, Energy Regulatory Commission, Kenya
• and Florence Nsubuga, UMEME, Uganda, who made history in May this year by becoming the inaugural winner of the Woman in Power Award at African Utility Week in Cape Town.
The Kenyan utility KenGen also won two awards at African Utility Week, namely Power Utility of the Year as well as Clean Power Project of the Year, and will be hot favourites to beat in the East African competition.
Categories of the East African Power Industry Awards:
- Lifetime Achievement Award Regional Award, East Africa
A standout individual will be selected by the judges and recognised for initiatives leading to successful transformation of the sector and a positive impact on the East African Power Industry. Their background and expertise can come from a public or private company or institution.
- Excellence in Power Generation
Celebrating the successes of a generating company, utility or IPP that has significantly enhanced East African power capacity and output.
- Excellence in Power Transmission & Distribution
This award will go to a transmission or distribution company that has excelled in meeting the growing power needs of the region. Judges will review projects enhancing distribution of power, service delivery, off-grid innovations, project roll-out, technology roll-out and revenue protection measures or loss reduction.
- Power Transaction of the Year
The award commends sustainable investment in a power project or initiative. Recognising investors, financial institutions and consortiums we distinguish enterprise that has made major impact on the East African Power sector.
- CSR Initiative of the Year
This important and prestigious award honours the organisation that demonstrates high standards and initiatives that enrich the East African citizens. The award aims to recognise the values that form the cornerstone of a good business from its approach to knowledge transfer, suppliers, the environment and a sustainable future.
- Outstanding Clean Power Project
This award recognises regional and international game changers who develop technologies and processes that innovate and promote renewable generation in East Africa.
- Outstanding Woman in Power - Regional Award, East Africa
This award celebrates a woman in the East African Power sector for outstanding achievements during the past year which have made a contribution to and impact on the sector, whether from a public or private company or institution.
More information on the awards is available on the event website.
EAPIC (eapicforum.com) and the East African Power Industry Awards are organised by Spintelligent, leading Cape Town-based trade exhibition and conference organiser, and the African office of Clarion Events Ltd, based in the UK.
EAPIC and Clean Power East Africa dates and location:
Exhibition & Conference: 27-28 August 2015
Industry awards: 27 August 2015 Intercontinental Nairobi Hotel
Pre-conference master classes: 26 August 2015
Site visits: 25 August 2015
Location: KICC, Nairobi