PPG Industries’ industrial coatings business will highlight new products during preview days at the 2015 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit’s Cobo Center, Jan. 12-15. The products are designed to help global automakers fight metal corrosion and meet increasingly stringent environmental standards around the world. They include:
• POWERCRON ADVANTEDGE™ and POWERCRON EPIC™ Tin-Free Electrocoats Powercron AdvantEdge and Powercron EPIC e-coat systems are formulated with a proprietary catalyst that functions without tin, bismuth or other heavy-metal compounds, representing a significant environmental advance by PPG in corrosion-fighting products for the auto industry. In addition to helping auto manufacturers comply with new global environmental regulations, the technology enables PPG’s ninth-generation e-coats to cure at temperatures as low as 320 F to reduce energy consumption and related carbon emissions. Powercron AdvantEdge and Powercron EPIC coatings also deliver improved throwpower for more uniform film builds on complex parts, along with excellent corrosion resistance, a smooth film appearance and outstanding workability.
• PPG Proprietary Zinc-Rich Primer with Electrocoat PPG’s latest technology breakthrough is a duplex coating system that incorporates an “engineered” zinc-rich primer between the metal substrate and e-coat finish. Together, the primer and e-coat significantly improve the corrosion resistance of high-end underbody parts, subframe finishes and other vulnerable parts on trucks and passenger vehicles. The zinc-rich primer works exclusively with PPG e-coats to provide protection through the use of a sacrificial zinc-oxide layer that corrodes when the barrier coat is chipped by road debris, enabling it to reseal and protect itself.
• The system, which can function as an economical alternative to galvanizing and plating in some applications, has been performance-tested by major auto manufacturers and is demonstrating exceptional corrosion resistance on control arms, tie rods, steering knuckles and other components that are critical to the safety, durability and performance of trucks and automobiles. The technology also may enable auto manufacturers and their suppliers to cut costs by using thinner-gauge metal for parts; by enhancing corrosion resistance on welds, seams and cut edges; and by minimizing masking requirements for complex parts.
• Metal Conditioner 257 (AMC257) for Mixed Metal Pretreatment Systems A near-neutral pH pickle / descaler, Metal Conditioner 257 removes weld scale and light oxides from steel surfaces. The product is ideal for use in mixed-metal pretreatment systems because it preconditions welds and heat-affected zones prior to phosphating without significantly affecting white metals, galvanized steel and aluminum surfaces, enabling them to be processed at the same time as steel. As a mildly acidic pickle / descaler, AMC257 is more sustainable than conventional mineral-acid pickle solutions because it is non-fuming and operationally easier and safer to use.
• VERSABOND™ Pretreatment System In response to the increased use of aluminum in trucks and passenger vehicles, PPG has developed the Versabond pretreatment system, which employs the latest in zinc-phosphate hypernucleation technology to accelerate crystal formation and thereby reduce the production of sludge by up to 50 percent in some pretreatment systems. Other environmental and performance benefits associated with the Versabond pretreatment system include 10 to 20 percent lower processing temperatures and excellent corrosion resistance and adhesion due to its ability to uniformly deposit small, densely packed zinc-phosphate crystals.
As one of few companies in the world to manufacture pretreatments, e-coats, primers, basecoats and clearcoats, PPG is uniquely positioned to provide products and services for every stage of the coating process for aluminum and steel substrates. With liquid and powder coatings and an extensive palette of colors, finishes and special effects, PPG can support conventional high-volume, low-pressure (HVLP), electrostatic and air-turbine spray application technologies through a global technology and service network.
Media, VIP guests and automotive insiders can learn more about PPG’s full line of coatings solutions for the automotive industry by visiting PPG’s hospitality suite in Room 420A on the third floor of Detroit’s Cobo Center between noon and 8 pm. on Jan. 14 and between 7 am. and 8 pm. on Jan. 15.
For more information on the products featured or PPG’s hospitality suite at NAIAS or call 1-888-774-2001.
PPG: BRINGING INNOVATION TO THE SURFACE™
PPG Industries' vision is to continue to be the world’s leading coatings and specialty materials company. Through leadership in innovation, sustainability and color, PPG helps customers in industrial, transportation, consumer products, and construction markets and aftermarkets to enhance more surfaces in more ways than does any other company. Founded in 1883, PPG (ppg.com) has global headquarters in Pittsburgh and operates in nearly 70 countries around the world. Sales in 2013 were $15.1 billion.
Bringing innovation to the surface, Powercron AdvantEdge, Powercron EPIC and Versabond are trademarks of PPG Industries Ohio, Inc.