NewswireToday - /newswire/ -
Matlock, Derbyshire, United Kingdom, 2007/03/02 - Children’s charity NCH today thanked local people and businesses for their “amazing” generosity as it announced that a fundraising appeal on behalf of local children and teenagers had passed the half way mark ahead of schedule.
NCH’s West Midlands Every Child Matters Appeal is focusing on issues including poverty, disability and exclusion and aims to raise £300,000 for NCH’s local services. The two-year appeal has raised over £150,000 in its first 10 months.
Claire Morris, NCH Regional Fundraising Manager, said: “This appeal is helping our work with over 20,000 children and teenagers locally. When you consider that 50 pence can pay for a brochure for children explaining separation and divorce, or that £5 can fund a disabled child’s place in an after-school activity session, you can see what a massive difference the amazing support of local people and businesses is making.”
She added: “The challenge now is to make sure we reach our £300,000 target by April 2008.”
Support to date includes:
· Birmingham-based express parcel and mail company Business Post made a £67,000 donation
· The Lions Club of Coventry Godiva donated £5000 from a series of events
· The Business Influence luncheon in Birmingham in November 2006 raised over £22,000 through the generosity of guests and sponsor firms Jones & Palmer, HBJ Gateley Wareing solicitors, Kroll, PerfectArc and Big Giant Head
Local people and community groups also showed what a difference they can make:
· Warwickshire Guides and Scouts Association (WAGS) raised £2500 last year, and hope to raise at least £2000 this year, through its annual Gang Show
· Leamington’s support group for NCH, together with local groups such as the Brownies, Beavers, Dale Street Methodist Church Guides and Explorers Scouts, raised over £1000 at the Leamington Spa Summer Extravaganza, held near Radford Semele last summer
NCH works with some of the UK's most vulnerable and excluded children and young people. It works with more children and young people than any other UK charity.
To donate or to find out how to support NCH, call 0121 321 5180 or write to ‘Every Child Matters Appeal’, NCH, 8 Mill Street, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands B72 1TJ. Please make cheques payable to NCH.
Notes to editors
1. A selection of photographs is available to illustrate this story.
2. NCH is one of the UK’s leading children’s charities, working in partnership to run nearly 500 services for more than 160,000 of the UK’s most vulnerable children, young people and their families.
3. NCH was previously known as National Children's Home. It re-branded in 2002 to become NCH, the children's charity.