ZOLL Medical Corporation, a manufacturer of medical devices and related software solutions, announced today that it will display the LifeVest® Wearable Defibrillator along with sudden cardiac death (SCD) education and screening tools, the Intravascular Temperature Management (IVTM™) system, and the LIFEBRIDGE® system in Booth #K820 at the European Society of Cardiology Congress 2014, 30 August 3 September in Barcelona.
The LifeVest will be discussed during the following scientific sessions:
• Hot Line Session: Valentina Kutyifa, MD, PhD, University of Rochester Medical Center, will present “Prospective Registry of Patients Using the Wearable Defibrillator (WEARIT-II Registry)” during a session entitled “Registry Hot Line: Interventions, Devices and Outcomes,” Saturday, 30 August, 11:00 am.-12:45 pm., Valetta (The Hub), Central Village, Session #28.
• Prof. Dr. Werner Jung, Schwarzwald Baar Kliniken, Villingen Schwenningen, Germany, and PD Dr. Christian Veltmann, Medizinische Hochschule, Hannover, Germany, will present a symposium entitled “New Onset Heart Failure Patients are Different: A Strategy for Managing SCD Risk During Medical Optimization,” Monday, 1 September, 1:00-1:45 pm., Reykjavik, Village 6, Session #3783.
• Ramu Perumal, PhD, ZOLL, will present “Circadian Variation of Ventricular Arrhythmias Does Not Affect Survival in Patients Using the Wearable Cardioverter Defibrillator,” Monday, 1 September, 10:34 am., Moderated Poster Corner, Central Village, Poster #2953.
The LifeVest protects patients at risk for SCD. It is used for a wide range of patient conditions or situations, including following a recent myocardial infarction or coronary revascularization. One in five post-acute myocardial infarction (AMI) patients have been shown to be at high risk of dying after percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI).1 The majority of mortality in AMI patients post-PCI occurs in the first three months one out of every 10 high-risk patients die, with about 60% of this mortality due to SCD.1,2 The LifeVest gives physicians time to optimize medical therapy and assess a patient’s long-term risk for sudden death.
The LifeVest is lightweight and easy to wear, allowing patients to return to their activities of daily living, while having the peace of mind that they are protected from SCD. The LifeVest continuously monitors the patient’s heart and, if a life-threatening heart rhythm is detected, the device delivers a treatment shock to restore normal heart rhythm.
ZOLL’s IVTM system offers health care providers the power and control they need to rapidly, safely, and effectively manage the core body temperature of critically ill or surgical patients. The Thermogard XP® delivers accurate, easy-to-use, and cost-effective control for both cooling and warming applications. The temperature management system provides a variety of catheter options depending upon the specific patient needs.
The LIFEBRIDGE System allows the cardiovascular system and critical organs to rest, heal, and recover by improving blood flow and oxygenation in an emergency setting.
About ZOLL Medical Corporation
ZOLL Medical Corporation (zoll.com), an Asahi Kasei Group company, develops and markets medical devices and software solutions that help advance emergency care and save lives, while increasing clinical and operational efficiencies. With products for defibrillation and monitoring, circulation and CPR feedback, data management, fluid resuscitation, and therapeutic temperature management, ZOLL provides a comprehensive set of technologies that help clinicians, EMS and fire professionals, and lay rescuers treat victims needing resuscitation and acute critical care.
About Asahi Kasei
The Asahi Kasei Group (asahi-kasei.co.jp) is a diversified group of companies led by holding company Asahi Kasei Corp., with operations in the chemicals and fibers, homes and construction materials, electronics, and health care business sectors. Its health care operations include devices and systems for acute critical care, dialysis, therapeutic apheresis, transfusion, and manufacture of biotherapeutics, as well as pharmaceuticals, diagnostic reagents, and nutritional products. With more than 29,000 employees around the world, the Asahi Kasei Group serves customers in more than 100 countries.
Copyright © 2014 ZOLL Medical Corporation. All rights reserved. IVTM, LIFEBRIDGE, LifeVest, Thermogard XP, and ZOLL are trademarks or registered trademarks of ZOLL Medical Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Asahi Kasei is a registered trademark of Asahi Kasei Corporation. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
1. Halkin A, et al. Prediction of Mortality After Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention for Acute Myocardial Infarction: CADILLAC Risk Score. JACC 2005;45:1397 1405.
2. Stone G, et al. Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Arrest Post PTCA in High-Risk Patients.