Green Mountain Energy Company, the nation’s longest serving renewable energy retailer, earned the top score for customer satisfaction as reported in the J.D. Power 2014 Retail Electric Provider Residential Customer Satisfaction StudySM. The study includes responses from thousands of Texans across six factors: Price, Billing and Payment (an additional factor measured in Texas), Communication, Customer Service, Corporate Social Responsibility, and Enrollment/Renewal. On a 1,000-point scale, Green Mountain received a total score of 762, the highest score among 18 retail electric providers included in the study.
One way Green Mountain delivers on its mission “to use the power of consumer choice to change the way power is made” is employee passion. This drive is apparent in the personal approach Green Mountain takes with its communications and corporate citizenship, key factors in the study.
“Green Mountain has played a strong role in driving renewable energy choice in the electricity industry,” said Mark McShane, vice president, Texas Residential, Green Mountain. “We realized from the beginning that without our partnership with our customers, nothing was going to change, especially not the way power was being made.”
Employee Passion Reflected in Engaging Customer Communications
Over the last year, Green Mountain introduced key enhancements to its website, bills, and enrollment process to make it easier for customers to learn about renewable energy and how they’re helping to preserve and protect the environment.
• Website Redesign: Customer experience has been improved with mobile-first design, streamlined navigation, and the ability to sort and compare electricity plans.
• In-person, web-based enrollment: Sales agents now sign-up customers for service using tablets, cutting down on paper and improving time to receive service.
• Multi-Media Content: The company’s in-house creative team developed short, shareable videos that educate on energy efficiency, eco-friendly shopping tips, and how renewable energy works.
• Environmental Benefits: Customers see their individual environmental impact and the collective benefit of all customers on nearly all communications, such as monthly statements, emails, and their online “My Account” access.
Corporate Citizenship Driven by Solar Donations, Energy Innovations, Business Practices
In addition to the overall ranking, Green Mountain also received the highest score amongst its competitors for Corporate Citizenship. A few elements stand out as examples of the company’s commitment.
• Green Mountain Energy™ Sun Club™: The primary way the company gives back to the community is through its Sun Club program, which donates solar power to non-profits thanks to company, customer, and employee contributions. The Sun Club has given more than $3 million and installed over 60 solar installations, including the donation this year to Sea Turtle, Inc., which purchased solar-powered, amber-colored streetlights to help baby sea turtles get to the water without city-light distractions.
• Solar Product Innovations: Green Mountain has been bringing customers innovative ways to support renewable energy since the Texas electricity market opened to competition in 2002, when the company was the first provider in Texas fully dedicated to cleaner energy. In addition to products tailored to rooftop solar customers, Green Mountain recently introduced the first and only 100% solar offering in Texas, SolarSPARC™ electricity.
• Transparent, Responsible Business Practices: Green Mountain innovations go beyond customer offerings to its day to day operations. Green Mountain demonstrates a continued commitment to sustainability. For example, its operations have been carbon-neutral for over a decade, and it has published sustainability reports tracking every year in business. Green Mountain also designed its headquarters to be the first LEED Platinum Commercial Interior Office in Austin, TX.
“Our customers’ confidence in our brand has been built on the past 17 years of service. We thank them for choosing us and look forward to working with them for many more years to continue the growth of renewable energy and its positive impact on the environment,” continued McShane.
Background on J.D. Power Study
The 2014 Retail Electric Provider Residential Customer Satisfaction Study is based on responses from 25,757 retail electric residential customers and 9,016 avoiders those who avoided switching providers of 82 ranked retail electric providers in nine states regarding their experiences with their retail electric provider. The study was fielded in September 2013 through and June 2014.
About Green Mountain Energy Company
Green Mountain (GreenMountainEnergy.com) is the nation’s longest serving renewable energy retailer and believes in using wind, sun and water for good. The company was founded in 1997 with the mission to “change the way power is made.” Green Mountain offers consumers and businesses the choice of cleaner electricity products from renewable sources, as well as a variety of carbon offset products and sustainable solutions for businesses. One of Green Mountain’s largest customers is the “world’s most famous office building,” the Empire State Building in New York City. Green Mountain customers have collectively helped avoid more than 30.6 billion pounds of carbon dioxide emissions. Green Mountain is backed by NRG Energy (NYSE:NRG), driving the development of cleaner and smarter energy choices for customers as the largest solar operator in the country and the third largest overall renewables company.