Customers across a broad range of geographies and industries are adopting Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Engineered Systems backup and recovery. With the new ZS3 Series for backup, Oracle ZFS Storage ZS3-BA, customers have a pre-configured, pre-racked solution co-engineered with Oracle Database to provide extreme backup and restore performance with superior efficiency to help meet SLAs. In addition to high performance, ZS3-BA offers 5x lower three-year TCO over EMC Data Domain 990(1) for Oracle Engineered Systems data protection.
Spotlighting demand for Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Engineered Systems backup and recovery, Oracle today announced customers across the globe are adopting Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Database backup environments.
Oracle's ZFS Storage business posted strong year-over-year growth in fiscal Q3, demonstrating another quarter of sales momentum for the NAS product portfolio.
Oracle ZFS Storage delivers unique value for Oracle Database customers with features not available to NetApp and EMC storage, including Oracle Intelligent Storage Protocol (OISP), and Automatic Data Optimization (ADO) with Oracle Hybrid Columnar Compression.
Customers cite the outstanding performance, efficiency, and value of Oracle’s unique Application Engineered Storage capabilities achieved through co-engineering Oracle hardware and software:
DB Schenker Rail
“As the leading rail freight company in Europe, DB Schenker Rail requires rapid and reliable access to vast amounts of data. Oracle Exadata Database Machine and the Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance has been the right solution for us, enabling very fast backup and restore times,” said Dominic Marx, Head of Business Intelligence Competence Center, DB Schenker Rail. “We’ve been impressed with high compression rates obtained using Hybrid Columnar Compression with the Oracle Exadata and Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance, and the fact that the compression levels are maintained by the ZFS Storage Appliance, so we realize cost and capacity savings on top of high performance.”
Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz
“Hospitals have very specific business and IT requirements such as availability 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance was a natural choice for Oracle Exadata Database Machine backup because of its efficient and large capacity storage, and it is already completely integrated with Oracle Exadata," said Denis da Costa Rodrigues, Manager of Information Technology, Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz. "As part of the solution, we also implemented Oracle Active Data Guard, which further increases our data protection capabilities. The overall Oracle Exadata ZFS Storage solution has not only improved our ability to deliver high-quality healthcare services, but also provides the high availability, agility and data protection to support our operations.”
SunGard Availability Services
“Over the last five or six years, we’ve seen our data double then triple in size, putting real stress on our infrastructure,” said Hal Moretto, Director, Enterprise Infrastructure, SunGard Availability Services. “Using RMAN and Oracle’s ZFS Storage Appliance to backup the Oracle Exadata Database Machine, we’ve been able to create encrypted backups and leverage the InfiniBand connectivity between ZFS and Exadata to improve throughput, as well as replicating the backup to our offsite D/R location to a second ZFS storage appliance via storage replication, making that backup set available for offsite restoration if required.”
Oracle’s New ZS3 Series for Backup Complements Engineered Systems Extreme Performance, Helps Reduce Backup and Recovery Risk and Cost Over EMC
• ZS3-BA helps ensure backup and recovery SLAs are met by scaling to 26 TB/hr for full backups and 17 TB/hr for full restores -- a 30 percent increase for backups and 80 percent increase for restores over the previous generation.
• ZS3-BA offers 5x lower three-year TCO over EMC Data Domain 990 without the need for additional costly agents, media servers and third-party software required by competitors’ systems, and it is available in a HA configuration, unlike EMC Data Domain products.
• ZS3-BA also helps customers meet backup window and recovery time objectives by delivering a fully optimized I/O stack for superior database backup and recovery performance through a massive cache-centric architecture (DRAM and flash), symmetric multiprocessing OS, and technologies such as OISP, Oracle Direct NFS (dNFS), Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA), and InfiniBand.
• ZS3-BA supports Hybrid Columnar Compression (HCC), which can compress Oracle Database data by 10-50x, allowing customers to significantly reduce the amount of storage and bandwidth required. In addition, HCC compression is maintained throughout the backup environment and for secondary processing including snaps and clones that can be used natively for development/test/QA. HCC is available only with Oracle storage.
• Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance is the only NAS product with direct InfiniBand connectivity to Oracle engineered systems’ own InfiniBand backplanes, allowing customers to leverage the fastest bandwidth available to deliver 40Gb/sec throughput speeds.
• ZS3-BA is pre-configured and pre-racked for engineered systems integration to speed deployment and reduce configuration risk. Oracle’s engineered systems backup utility helps further remove installation guesswork to enable rapid and reliable setup.
“Extremely high speed streaming performance, ease-of-use, and Oracle Database co-engineering give the ZFS Storage Appliance a clear competitive advantage in Oracle engineered systems backup and recovery use cases. Customers worldwide are adopting it as their backup solution of choice,” said Scott Tracy, vice president, Storage Software, Oracle. “The new ZS3-BA further extends these capabilities while offering superior TCO for customers with demanding Oracle Database and Engineered Systems data protection requirements.”
Oracle (oracle.com) engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
(1) Three-year TCO calculated using non-discounted list prices from publicly available data. EMC Data Domain DD990, 12xES30 - 15x2TB SATA 7.2K RPM with EMC DD990 Replicator and EMC DD990 VTL includes 2 x PCiE cards, DP, DG
Contact: Drew Smith, Blanc & Otus
P: +1 415-856-5127 - E: dsmith[.]blancandotus.com.